About B Lab Global
B Lab Global envisions an inclusive, equitable, and regenerative economic system for all people and the planet as described here. To date, there are over 7,400 Certified B Corps in 160 industries and 90 countries, and over 250,000 companies use the B Impact Assessment, our flagship tool, to assess company performance and certify B Corps.
In 2006, B Lab Global began with the idea that a different kind of economy was not only possible, but necessary — and that business could lead the way towards a new, stakeholder-driven model. B Lab is building the global B Corp movement to change the economic system by creating standards, policies, tools, and programs that shift the behavior, culture, and structural underpinnings of capitalism.
B Lab Global is known for certifying B Corporations, which are companies that meet high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. They mobilize the B Corp community towards collective action to address society’s most critical challenges by using business as a force for good. By harnessing the power of business, B Lab positively impacts companies around the world, helping them balance profit with purpose by shifting from a system that profits few (shareholders) to one that benefits all (stakeholders – employees, customers, environment, and community).
B Lab Global (BLG) is in a dynamic, next phase period of vitalization, introducing a new Lead Executive (aka CEO) in 2022, developing new standards, and new partnerships as they continue their work to transform the global economic system to using business as a force for good. To help guide this work, BLG seeks a Head of Business and Finance Transformation (B&FT) who will support BLG’s strategic evolution and ensure its ability to achieve its mission. The Head of B&FT is responsible for shaping the business model and commercial strategy of BLG (earning revenue from products and services) and the business model of the entire B Lab Global Network (30 local B lab affiliates around the world). This role serves as the lead architect, integrator, leader, and change catalyst for the business and finance transformation journey. The core objective of this role is to develop a resilient and resourceful BLG, and Global Partner Network with BLG at its core, capable of scaling a global movement. Over the coming years, the emphasis is on instilling commercial rigor and financial acumen within BLG and the Global Partner Network.
Reporting directly to the Lead Executive, the Head of B&FT holds a pivotal role advising and aligning with BLG’s executive team (Senior Leadership Circle or SLC) on shared ambitions and the scope of organizational and Network transformation. This role also defines the project sequence, articulates the execution strategy, and identifies the requisite talent pool to lead and deliver the transformation initiatives.
This role includes implementation of business strategies, fostering innovation, managing finances, and mitigating legal risk to support the growth and sustainability of the organization’s global operations.
The Head of B&FT oversees the Finance and Legal Department, which includes oversight of three teams:
- Finance and Accounting (1 direct report; 6 people total)
- Commercial (1 to 2 people – future roles)
- Legal (1 person)
As a critical member of the SLC and the SLC sponsor of the Global Network Business Model Circle, the Head of B&FT assumes other leadership responsibilities and drives organization-wide initiatives in collaboration with their peers. BLG also provides shared services (finance, legal, IT, JEDI, fundraising, and HR) to B Lab U.S and Canada, a wholly-owned subsidiary of B Lab Company (DBA B Lab Global). The Head of B&FT is responsible for delivering the finance and legal portion of these services.
Major Objectives and Projects for the First 6-12 Months
- Deliver 2024 goals and metrics, including financial targets for BLG.
- Update the multi-year budget for BLG.
- With the Business Model Circle, finalize the Global Network business model for 2025 and roadmap for future years.
- Recommend concepts to optimize revenue generation, cost control, and relationships across the Global Network.
- Explore opportunities to enhance monetization of products and services at BLG.
- Secure external capital necessary for growth at BLG.
Ongoing Key Responsibilities
- Serve as thought partner to the Lead Executive (CEO) in broad organizational planning
- Oversee tax and regulatory compliance for B Lab Company
- Support the Treasurer and the Finance, Risk, and Audit Committee of the Board of Directors
- Collaborate with SLC peers by embracing new ideas and seeking solutions
- Advance B Lab Global’s culture and embrace its JEDI principles
- Develop financial literacy across the organization
- Build a high-performance and service-oriented Finance and Legal Department
- Liaise and support Global Partners and their business planning as it relates to the B Lab Global Network
- Guide BLG in the annual business planning and budgeting process with clear budget (revenue/expense) responsibilities for each department at BLG
Business Transformation and Strategy
- Create the overall business plan for B Lab Company in collaboration with B Lab U.S. and Canada
- Develop strategic business models for B Lab Company and lead the business model evolution for the Global Network in collaboration with B Lab U.S. and Canada
- Lead business transformation initiatives at BLG in collaboration with digital transformation of BLG’s products, standards, and certification & verification processes
- Support a culture of continuous improvement and change management across BLG
- Ensure business transformation alignment with BLG’s mission and values
Finance and Accounting Oversight
- Oversee the development and management of the annual and multi-year budgets for BLG
- Drive the direction and success of B Lab using their knowledge and understanding of B Lab’s financial position
- Manage through volatility and complexity of international markets
- Shape the financial model for the Global Network business
- Oversee management of critical financial operations, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and banking transactions
- Support the organization’s Treasurer to safeguard cash flow and oversee treasury management
- Conduct comprehensive financial planning and analysis
- Prepare financial reports for decision-making
- Ensure compliance of 501(c)(3) status, annual financial audit, and tax requirements for B Lab Company including filing of Form 990
- Administer 403b plan
- Assist department heads in maximizing revenue and controlling expenses without sacrificing customer or employee satisfaction
- Create and implement earned revenue plans and strategies for B Corp certification and new software product development and commercialization that cover costs and generate positive margin
- Cultivate strategic partnerships for technology commercialization
- Streamline the certification business model
- Develop tools and key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure productivity and effectiveness of BLGs products and services
- Prepare the organization for technology investment opportunities
Legal Affairs Oversight
- Draft and manage legal agreements including B Corp agreements and Global Partner agreements with B Lab Global Network partner entities
- Ensure compliance with global legal and ethical obligations
- Manage intellectual property rights and protection
- Oversee corporate governance, contracts, and risk management
- Handle risk-management processes by working with insurance agents to ensure proper liability coverage (director & officer, cybersecurity, workers compensation, etc.)
- Coordinate pro bono and paid legal support and maintain proper legal documentation
The ideal candidate is an accomplished leader with a dynamic entrepreneurial mindset and extensive experience in finance, commercial innovation, general business operations, and business process transformation. They possess a proven track record of helping organizations achieve financial success while overseeing multifaceted functions. BLG is at a tipping point of moving from a philanthropy-subsidized financial model for B Corp certification to a model that fully covers all costs associated with certification. In addition, BLG strives to differentiate other activities and programs related to movement building (towards stakeholder capitalism) that are generally (but not entirely) funded by philanthropy.
In this pivotal role, the Head of B&FT will spearhead the development and execution of innovative commercial strategies that support earned revenue-generating and philanthropic revenue-generating initiatives that together serve to catalyze BLG’s growth. Their financial expertise, including budget management, financial planning, and a keen eye for opportunities to monetize existing services, will be instrumental in achieving organizational goals.
This candidate thrives in diverse, global environments and excels at building high-performing, collaborative teams. They have the unique ability to seamlessly transition from presenting financial insights to the Board of Directors to explaining financial concepts to stakeholders with varying levels of financial expertise.
With a leadership style rooted in positivity, transparency, and a commitment to delivering results, the ideal candidate possesses the confidence to make tough decisions, advocate for positive change, and address issues of power and privilege as they arise. Their track record reflects their ability to manage complex financial operations while embracing the values of leadership, empathy, and accountability that drive success at BLG.
The Head of B&FT is adept at identifying talent gaps and crucial skills needed for successful business transformations and turnarounds. This includes enhancing organizational capacity through training and coaching. Similar to an effective coach, the Head of B&FT inspires employees to strive for excellence and acknowledges achievements while fostering enthusiasm and confidence across the organization and throughout the B Lab Global Network.
Experience and Qualifications
Recognizing that no one candidate has every skill and characteristic we seek, highly valued experience and qualifications for this role include:
- Experience growing/scaling/professionalizing a tech platform or global service product organization
- High level knowledge of GAAP, including intercompany transactions and nonprofit accounting practices; knowledge of IFRS helpful
- Business modeling and financial management for a global business including invoicing and currency exchange across multiple countries
- Previous work experience leading finance, legal, audit, compliance, nonprofit grant management, commercial pricing
- Knowledge of philanthropy and nonprofit blended finance models that incorporate restricted and unrestricted fund allocations, fundraising, fee for service charges, product delivery, and/or social enterprise revenue
- Turnaround experience and commercial experience is an asset
- Experience securing outside capital
- Experience presenting to, and working with, boards of directors
- CPA preferred; impact investing knowledge and experience desired
- Understanding of different legal entity structures and international multi-entity environments
Compensation and Location
B Lab Global uses a geographic pay differential to determine pay. The salary range for this nonprofit position is $200,000 – $235,000 for US-based applicants. We will also accept applications at our other global locations: Brazil, United Kingdom, and The Netherlands. Salaries in these locations are adjusted to local salary scales. BLG will consider candidates from outside of these countries. However, all candidates are expected to be eligible to work in their country of residence without the need of sponsorship of B Lab now or in the future.
BLG is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. They encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
In early 2020, BLG released its commitment to becoming an anti-racist organization and believe it is important to highlight this with all interested applicants. B Lab is a learning organization – and has embarked on a journey consisting of the education of anti-Black racism and other forms of global oppression, and centering justice in their work.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the “Become a Candidate” button. Letters may be addressed to Jailan Adly.
Applicants applying by November 6th will be given priority consideration, with the position open until filled.