This application closed on November 14th
About B Lab Global
B Lab is transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the planet. It started in 2006 with an idea – that a different kind of economy was not only possible, but necessary — and that business could lead the way towards a new, stakeholder-driven model that harnesses the power of business for good. B Lab created standards, policies, tools, and programs to shift the behavior, culture, and structural underpinnings to that end. B Lab became known for certifying B Corporations, which are companies that meet high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. They mobilize the B Corp community towards collective action to address society’s most critical challenges.
Today, B Lab Global is the central non-profit organization leading the global B Corp movement with a vision of an inclusive, equitable and regenerative economic system to support all people and the planet. It develops certification programs and products while also coordinating a network of Global Partners to deliver on this collective vision.
To date, there are over 5,000 Certified B Corps in 150 industries and 70 countries, and over 150,000 companies use the B Lab B Impact Assessment. B Lab is rapidly growing to meet unprecedented demand for its programs and tools. By harnessing the power of business, B Lab positively impacts companies around the world, helping them balance profit with purpose.
B Lab Global has offices in the U.S., Brazil, the U.K., and The Netherlands. B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving their mission. They seek to expand their perspective and challenge business as usual with each new hire and strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition.
As B Lab expands and grows globally, so do the opportunities to build creative and effective financial strategies, operations, and operating systems to propel the business forward. This is an exciting moment for a strategic and global finance leader to bring their professional expertise to bear on creating the business models and processes to bring B Lab Global to scale.
The Head of Finance will be responsible for building the financial strategy and business model for B Lab Global and its Global Partner Network to resource continued growth of the B Corp movement properly and sustainably. They will be responsible for leading and managing the operational strategies and infrastructure to support B Lab Global’s growth over the next 5-10 years, including effective systems for finance, accounting, risk management, and legal support of $20-40M budget with operations in multiple currencies in order to meet the needs of a globally distributed organization. They will ensure that B Lab’s justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion strategy is central to its global financial and operating framework. Reporting directly to the Lead Executive, the Head of Finance will be an integral member of B Lab Global’s Senior Leadership Circle.
- Serve as thought partner with the Lead Executive (CEO) in broad organizational planning
- Staff the Finance, Risk, and Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, as well as serve as Treasurer of the organization
- Collaborate with leadership team peers by embracing new ideas and seeking solutions
- Advance B Lab Global’s culture and embrace its three JEDI pillars:
- Demonstrating racial equity and justice
- Distributing leadership and shifting power
- Holding each other accountable for our individual and team roles and responsibilities
- Develop financial literacy across the organization
- Build a high-performance and service-oriented team
- Liaise and support Global Partners and support their business planning as it relates to the network
- Guide the organization in the annual business planning and budgeting process with clear budget (revenue/expense) responsibilities for each department at B Lab Global
Business Strategy and Metrics
- Develop business models and various financial scenarios for B Lab Global and the Global Network to ensure long-term organizational and network financial sustainability
- Work collaboratively to:
- Create earned revenue models with the Head of Certification and Product Delivery that more than cover the cost of services from B Lab Global to the Global Partners
- Build long- and short-term philanthropic strategies with the Head of Strategic Growth
- Manage the production of reporting tools (scorecards, etc.) and key performance metrics to provide management insight into revenue and operating expense trends, track project spending, headcount, and potential risks/opportunities to forecast or plan
- Develop industry-specific B Lab metrics that orient behavior toward increasing customer value (for B Corps, Global Partners, and donors)
- Partner with the B Lab Senior Leadership Circle to design and implement multi-year business plans and strategies that support expanding global operations in a remote-first workplace through policies, practices, technology platforms, and appropriate metrics to measure current and future financial performance
Financial Management and Operations
- Mentor and coach direct reports including the Senior Manager of Finance and Director of Legal & Risk and proactively support their professional development
- Lead the design and assessment of financial strategy and performance as it relates to the annual budget, multi-year projections (with quarterly reviews), and a sustainable business model for B Lab Global and its network of Global Partners
- Develop and manage cash flow and forecasting, including minimum cash thresholds to meet operating and investment needs.
- Define accountability mechanisms for Global Partners’ financial performance and adherence to principles of interdependence with the ability to see a complete financial picture of B Lab globally.
- Supervise financial operations, ensuring compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), 501(c)3 nonprofit, and US regulatory requirements
- Recommend treasury and investment management, including evaluating and selecting US banking services
- Lead the development of opportunities to enhance cash position (e.g., Program Related Investments (PRIs), Mission Related Investments (MRIs), foreign exchange management, etc.)
- Prepare and deliver financial updates to B Lab’s Board of Directors and key donors
Legal and Risk
- Lead the development of legal and financial agreements with the Global Partners.
- Manage and ensure delivery of B Lab’s annual financial audit and tax filings in collaboration with the Finance and Legal & Risk teams
- Work with the Director of Legal & Risk to maintain integrity of and compliance with corporate governance policies, contracts, intellectual property, risk management, and coordination of legal affairs.
The ideal candidate for the Head of Finance for B Lab Global is a leader who enthusiastically embraces change and has the experience to help guide B Lab from an entrepreneurial startup to a mature, global organization. A finance professional who has built service organizations, social enterprises, or tech platforms, the candidate we seek has a global mindset and skillset and is comfortable addressing the intersections of business, society, and the environment
With demonstrated ability developing financial models and conducting analyses that identify critical trends, support strategic decision making, and create forward visibility, the ideal candidate exercises good judgment, sound decisions making and creative problem solving.
The ideal candidate is an active learner who leads with curiosity, stays abreast of latest best practices and innovations in order to elevate financial systems. They communicate effectively with diverse, global audiences, and work at their best in a collaborative work environment. They are comfortable managing relationships with a diverse set of global stakeholders and are excited by the global representation reflected in B Lab’s diverse, rich network.
Critical thinking is a key skill, as is a commitment to process and management. The flexibility to present financials to the Board of Directors one moment and explain the numbers to staff and partners with varying levels of financial understanding in another. They lead with yes and strive to create people-centered systems, processes and tools that help teams work better.
They model supportive leadership, empathy, transparency, and belief in others while holding individuals and teams accountable. They have the confidence to show vulnerability, own their mistakes, and make hard decisions. effectively manage up, advocate for change, and address issues of power and privilege as they arise.
Experience and Qualifications
Highly valued experience and qualifications for this role include:
- Experience growing/scaling/professionalizing a tech platform or global service product organization
- High-level knowledge of GAAP, including intercompany transactions and nonprofit accounting practices; knowledge of IFRS helpful
- Business modeling and financial management for an international environment, with invoicing and currency exchange across multiple countries
- Previous work experience leading finance, legal, audit, compliance
- Knowledge of philanthropy and nonprofit blended finance models that incorporate restricted and unrestricted fund allocations, fundraising, fee for service, product delivery, and or social enterprise revenue
Compensation and Location
B Lab Global uses a geographic pay differential to determine pay. There is a preference for the Head of Finance role to be based in the US or alternatively in the Netherlands or the United Kingdom. An example of the salary level in B Lab Global locations is:
- Philadelphia, PA, USA – $185,000 USD
- New York, NY, USA – $195,000 USD
- Denver, CO, USA – $185,000 USD
- London, England – £120,000 GBP
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – €130,000 EUR
B Lab also has the ability to employ individuals in other parts of the US in the following locations: Rhode Island, Florida, Oregon, Washington DC, California and Virginia. Salary bands for additional locations can be provided upon request. B Lab can provide a $5,000 relocation expense for US-based applicants to move to one of their hub locations. All candidates are expected to, independently, be able to work in either Brazil, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, or the United States without the need of sponsorship from B Lab, now or in the future.
B Lab Global is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. They encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
In early 2020, B Lab Global released its commitment to becoming an anti-racist organization and believe it is important to highlight this with all interested applicants. B Lab is a learning organization – and has embarked on a journey consisting of the education of anti-Black racism and other forms of global oppression, and centering justice in their work.
To Be Considered
Applications are no longer being accepted for this position.
GoodCitizen has been exclusively retained by B Lab Global to lead this search. For questions, please contact: