About Climate Interactive
Climate Interactive is a not-for-profit organization with global reach that creates and shares tools to drive effective and equitable climate action. Their real-time, interactive simulators help leaders understand the impact of various scenarios and policy decisions on global temperature rise and equity outcomes. The goal of these products is to support decision-making and bring transparency and education to people at all levels.
To date, Climate Interactive’s simulators have been used by over 600,000 people in 158 countries, ranging from heads of state to corporate leaders to students. Notably, Climate Interactive’s simulators were recently used to engage and train 128 members of the U.S. Congress leading up to the recent passage of the U.S. IRA Bill (2022), and were quintessential tools used by the Obama Administration and the Chinese Government to help secure the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement.
The Senior Development Manager will be responsible for supporting Climate Interactive in meeting their annual fundraising goals, managing proposal writing and reporting efforts, cultivating and stewarding major donors, and leading the build-out and growth of Climate Interactive’s development function.
This is an opportunity for a skilled fundraiser who is interested in building and amplifying Climate Interactive’s development strategy while simultaneously broadening the donor network to ensure lasting financial sustainability. For entrepreneurial candidates, there is extensive opportunity for growth within the organization.
Proposal Writing & Reporting
- Research and cultivate mission-aligned grant opportunities to support securing grants of $100,000+ annually
- Collaborate with Climate Interactive’s Directors to craft comprehensive narratives, scoping documents, project plans, and budgets for all grant proposals, fee-for-service bids, letters of inquiry, and concept notes
- Lead the development of interim and final grant reports, including collecting relevant data and narratives from across the Climate Interactive team
- Work closely with the Director of Operations to steward proposals and grant reports through New Venture Fund’s compliance processes
Donor Cultivation & Stewardship
- Support the Executive Director to identify, develop, manage, and grow strategic relationships with existing major donors and prospects to contribute towards Climate Interactive’s annual and multi-year revenue goals
- Develop personalized cultivation and solicitation strategies for donors contributing $100,000+ annually
- Work with Executive Director and Director of Operations to determine annual projections and regular forecasting of major donors in Climate Interactive’s portfolio
- Craft concise and impactful briefs on program activities, priorities, and global news and events for communication with major donors
- Build and maintain an up-to-date database of current, past, and prospective donor information ensuring privacy of personal and financial data
Strategy & Program Development
- Work with Executive Director and Director of Operations to set annual fundraising goals and support Climate Interactive in meeting or exceeding goals
- Enhance tracking, management, and reporting systems for pipelines, moves management, and formal requirements
- Optimize utilization of development resources and devise strategies to scale Climate Interactive’s fundraising efforts
- Contribute insights into climate funding trends, aiding in the formulation of long-term funding strategies
- Serve as a thought partner to Climate Interactive’s Directors on the expansion and direction of alternative revenue channels (e.g., workshop sales program, API licensing, consulting, etc.)
The ideal candidate for the Senior Development Manager role should be someone who has a proven track record of using their fundraising and development expertise to drive meaningful impact, ideally in the realm of climate change. They should exhibit the capacity to swiftly familiarize themselves with Climate Interactive’s approach and style, taking ownership of proposal writing and reporting with adeptness.
The ideal candidate will showcase their proficiency in cultivating and nurturing major donor relationships, expanding donor networks, and securing substantial funding through successful grant applications. Their profound motivation and inventive, self-starting demeanor will fuel their dedication to propelling Climate Interactive’s mission. Their leadership capabilities will shine through in their experience managing donor relationships, crafting compelling narratives, and collaborating closely with diverse teams.
This person will have a strong foundation in optimizing fundraising strategies, as evidenced by their contributions to achieving and exceeding annual goals. Additionally, their insights into climate funding trends and their past involvement in the formulation of long-term funding strategies will underscore their forward-thinking approach. This role requires an individual who is not only skilled in the technical aspects of fundraising but also deeply committed to making a tangible difference in combating climate change on a global scale.
With the understanding that no person will offer every desired skill and characteristic outlined below, compelling candidates will offer much of the following:
- Minimum of five years fundraising experience, including grant writing/reporting and major gifts involvement
- Proven success surpassing organizational and individual fundraising goals
- Experience leading or supporting the growth of a development strategy within an organization, including testing new strategies, implementing new systems and processes, and managing resources effectively for growth
- Exceptional relationship building and cross-functional communication skills
- Proficient time management, organizational, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated track record in independently stewarding proposals, budgets, and reports with minimal oversight
- Proven discretion when handling confidential information
- Effective self-sufficiency in remote work environments, yielding high productivity
- Dedication to embodying equity and inclusion values while representing Climate Interactive
- Experience within climate, environment, and/or sustainability/ESG fields, with nonprofit development in climate-focused organizations highly preferred; experience working on global climate issues or development projects desirable
- Advanced degrees preferred but not required
Location & Salary
This position will be remote within the U.S., with the ability to coordinate with the East Coast time zone. Climate Interactive offers a generous compensation package for this role, including:
- Starting salary of between $95,000-$130,000, with exact compensation varying based on skills and experience
- 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurances, including premiums and deductibles
- 3% automatic employer-paid retirement contribution (401K) plus up to an additional 3% match on employee contributions (401K or Roth IRA)
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurances
- Cell phone, internet, and fitness expense benefits
- Generous vacation, health, holiday, and leave time
Climate Interactive’s EEO Statement
Climate Interactive is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the “Become a Candidate” button.
Applicants applying by October 16th will be given priority consideration, with the position open until filled.
GoodCitizen has been exclusively retained by Climate Interactive to lead this search. For questions, please contact: