Overview of Climate Leadership Initiative
The climate crisis touches all our lives and impacts everything we hold dear. There is no question that tackling this crisis is a formidable challenge – but the good news is that climate change is a problem with solutions.
Yet less than 2 percent of philanthropic giving goes toward climate solutions. The Climate Leadership Initiative (CLI) was created in 2019 by leading climate philanthropists and foundations to help those with the means to act now, since the climate crisis cannot wait. Every delay means the solutions cost more in money and lives.
CLI is an advisory service designed to help philanthropists find their path to climate impact, supporting those who are new to this cause to move with both urgency and rigor to address the climate crisis and protect our planet for generations to come. When working with CLI, philanthropists can get started quickly and with confidence, receive tailored guidance, and engage with a network of peers and world-class climate experts to help find their place in the climate field.
CLI is fully funded and so does not charge for its services, nor does it pool grant dollars. Rather, the funds flow directly to solutions and organizations. This frees CLI to help philanthropists find the smartest path for them regardless of their theory of change.
Climate change isn’t its own cause, it’s every cause, because of its ability to threaten progress on any issue – poverty, education, conservation, economic and social justice, public health, and more. It’s why CLI works across many sectors and regions to address this far-reaching problem.
For more information on the organization, its funders, and leadership, please visit www.climatelead.org.
CLI was launched in 2019 as a fiscally sponsored organization, which allowed it to expedite the setup of its operations and quickly begin pursuing its important mission in the climate sector. As a result of significant growth and success over the past few years, CLI is moving into its next phase of operations by becoming an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. In doing so, several new positions are being created and new capabilities are being brought in-house.
The Finance Manager role is one of these newly created positions and will report to the Managing Director – Finance, Operations & People (MD-FOP): Gaurav Vashist, who will be joining CLI on June 1, 2023. CLI seeks a Finance Manager to successfully work across a variety of finance and accounting responsibilities with rigor, attention to detail, and an ever-present focus on compliance, scalability, and efficiency.
The Finance Manager will contribute to this moment of organizational transition by supporting efforts to build or review new financial systems and processes, then iterate, refine, and optimize aligned with CLI’s evolving needs in the coming years. This position will play a critical role in ensuring proper reporting, compliance, quality control, and data management are established.
Accounting Oversight & Policies
- CLI will be outsourcing its accounting function; as such and in partnership with the MD-FOP, the Finance Manager will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day relationship and will be the regular point of contact on all matters of business with the accounting firm, including:
- Annual 990 and other regulatory reporting / filings.
- Monthly and annual closes.
- Cash flow and forecasting reports.
- Manage accounts payable activities and protocols through Bill.
- Support the MD-FOP with cash management responsibilities.
- Develop and document finance / accounting processes and policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls and compliance, with an eye towards continuous improvement and best-in-class practices.
Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Prepare financial reports for CLI leadership and the board as well as ensure they have accurate financial information to inform strategic decisions, annual report preparation, and grants reporting.
- Conduct analyses to provide financial insights and recommendations to CLI leadership.
- Perform a variety of forecasting, budget variance, and other data analysis activities to ensure financial reporting supports organizational priorities, strategy, and short- and long-term planning.
- Support the MD-FOP in conceptualizing, documenting, and building financial models to assist in decision making.
- Provide support to the annual budgeting process, as needed.
- Support preparation and management of the annual audit process; manage and/or coordinate schedules and control narratives as necessary; act as supporting contact for auditors.
- Review, track, and support implementation of audit recommendations.
- Manage all contracts with vendors, suppliers, and service providers.
- Develop and maintain systems and policies for internal teams across CLI to contractually engage with external providers.
CLI seeks a Finance Manager who is inspired by the opportunity to help a mission-driven climate organization grow and scale its newly created finance and operations function. The ideal candidate will be equally skilled with systems and numbers, possessing the ability to pivot to support multiple departments simultaneously, and able to meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. A strong ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial information is key, as is a strong attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through in all areas.
The Finance Manager will possess strong business and financial acumen that has been refined by working in dynamic and growing nonprofit organizations. With experience scoping and implementing finance / accounting policies, procedures, and financial systems, the successful candidate will bring a depth and breadth of experience that will allow them to successfully navigate complexity and nuance.
Candidates must bring excellent analytical and communication skills. This role requires a team player who enjoys working across a range of functions, and the ability to be a hands-on doer with flawless execution. The ideal candidate is intellectually curious and confident enough to speak up with questions.
Additional qualifying factors for the Finance Manager include:
- Minimum of six years of finance and accounting experience.
- Experience working in nonprofit organizations is preferred, but not required.
- Strong working knowledge with general ledger functions, accounts payable, accruals, fund classification, month-end and year-end close processes, and budgeting.
- Experience assessing, implementing, and managing financial systems and policies.
- Experience working with outsourced providers of accounting and/or other services.
- Experience with a variety of financial technologies, tools, or systems; potential platforms that CLI is currently exploring include QB Online, Sage, Bill, Intact, and Expensify.
To Be Considered
CLI values, celebrates, and supports a diverse and inclusive environment and will treat all employees and job candidates based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. The organization does not discriminate on the basis of, or traits historically associated with race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran and/or military status), domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and any other status protected by state or federal law. All qualified candidates who contribute to this broad commitment to diversity are strongly encouraged to submit their materials for consideration.
Position Salary, Location, & Travel
The salary range for this role is $125,000 – $145,000, with a highly competitive benefits package. The Finance Manager is expected to work onsite at CLI’s primary office in San Francisco, California. CLI staff in San Francisco currently work in the Ferry Building offices Tuesday through Thursday each week and typically work from a home location the other days.
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the Become a Candidate button below.
GoodCitizen has been exclusively retained by CLI to lead this search. For questions, please contact: