About Energy Foundation
Energy Foundation’s (EF) mission is to secure a clean and equitable energy future to tackle the climate crisis. They envision a healthy, safe, equitable economy powered by clean energy. They believe a thriving clean energy economy can create sustainable opportunities, spur innovation, and protect our climate—for today and future generations.
EF supports education and analysis to promote non-partisan policy solutions that advance renewable energy and energy efficiency while opening doors to greater innovation and productivity—growing the economy with dramatically less pollution. For more than 30 years, EF has supported grantees to help educate policymakers and the general public about the benefits of a clean energy economy. Their grantees include business, health, environmental, labor, equity, community, faith, and consumer groups, as well as policy experts, think tanks, universities, and more.
EF is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, and their more than 90 staff members are based in locations throughout the Midwest, Northeast, Southeast, and Western regions where they can best serve their programs, partners, operations, and other functions.
At a time when the country is facing ever-increasing urgency to tackle the climate crisis, EF is operating on the frontlines of this fight. As the organization has scaled to meet the challenge of transitioning to a clean energy economy, the need for effective program operations has emerged as a top priority. EF seeks an experienced operations leader and strong team manager to serve in the position of Managing Director, Program Operations (MD), which will play a key leadership function in building internal relationships and systems that foster clarity and inspire confidence in the face of significant growth and expansion. The MD will serve as a leader within the Program team, which executes on strategic planning and grantmaking and comprises the National Policy team, focused on implementing national strategy; the States and Regions team, which deploys place-based campaigns at the state and regional levels; and the Strategic Communications team.
Reporting to the Vice Presidents of the National Policy and States and Regions teams, the MD will be a primary representative for the Program team, liaising within the team and across the Finance, Human Resources, IT, Grants Management, and Strategic Partnerships teams. In this new role, the MD functions as a change agent, ensuring clear lines of communication and streamlined efforts across all areas of program operations. As such, the new MD will engage myriad internal stakeholders and serve as a trusted facilitator and advisor, providing guidance on established operational practices and the development of consistent accountability systems, tracking, and grantee reporting. This is a rare opportunity for someone who thrives in environments that allow high level thought partnership and execution across multiple and varied workstreams—all while working to solve the most profound challenge of our time.
EF seeks to expand Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) within our organization and through our work. We encourage people of color and candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to apply.
Systems, Processes, and Team Management
- Within the Program team, lead the development, implementation, and management of policies, procedures, and practices
- Oversee the development of continual improvements to ensure quality control, consistency of practice, and seamless program operations and systems
- Identify opportunities to support a learning culture that strengthens strategic and operational awareness and alignment
- Serve as the point person for Program team leadership to develop and execute on key team-wide projects
- Supervise a group of cross-functional programmatic staff, supporting their career growth and professional development
Budgeting and Planning
- Lead the National Policy and States and Regions teams’ annual planning and budgeting processes, including assisting in ensuring effective allocation, reconciliation, and implementation of budgets
- Maintain oversight of the Program team budget, keeping organizational leadership informed on progress, projections, and unexpected changes in budget and program plans
- In collaboration with Finance and Strategic Partnerships, prepare a monthly report for the organization’s Management Team, flagging issues early and troubleshooting as needed
- Liaise with Program team members on all program-related contracts and other external agreements to ensure accuracy and consistency, and to address potential conflict of interest issues as they emerge
- Assess landscape of processes and procedures within and across teams to identify gaps and areas for improvement; develop and implement process updates in partnership with relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate with the Strategic Partnerships team to collect information and track progress for strategy evaluation and funder reporting
- Design and facilitate monthly Program team meetings and other cross-team leadership meetings, as necessary
- Partner with Grants Management to develop, manage, and update effective grantmaking processes and tracking, program policies, impact metrics, and practices to ensure consistency; provide Program feedback on the grants management system and contribute to decisions about systems updates
- Working closely with team experts, oversee a revised plan to measure, evaluate and communicate organizational impact
EF seeks a Managing Director, Program Operations, who brings deep experience in operations, with an aptitude for streamlining and improving business processes and systems. With an ability and desire to move between strategy and implementation, the ideal candidate will be a seasoned leader who understands how to build effective internal partnerships, foster clarity and transparency cross-functionally, and consistently drive towards greater efficiency. A successful candidate also will bring the humility and emotional intelligence to form trusting relationships that allow for the co-creation of impactful and equitable processes that support organizational strategy and programming.
While climate experience is not required, candidates must display a genuine passion for and belief in the mission and values of the organization. Those who understand the balance between operational efficiency, mission, and impact are strongly preferred. Experience in similarly sized organizations and with budgets akin to that of EF is also highly desirable.
People and Relationship Management
The incoming MD must be a solutions-focused and collaborative leader with proven diplomatic and problem-solving skills in a multi-stakeholder environment. A demonstrated ability to work on cross-cultural teams, including the skills to build collaborative relationships, operate and lead in a team environment, and work cross-functionally to support the development of shared solutions and best practices is essential. Furthermore, candidates should bring a depth of experience supervising and developing talent internally, leveraging individuals’ strengths to build a cohesive and effective team. The MD will need to be self-directed with sound professional judgment and have the capacity to work effectively in remote and in-person settings with minimal supervision.
Budget and Resource Management
As the primary budget lead for the Program team, the MD will bring significant experience managing complex budgets and designing systems to help budget managers steward resources thoughtfully and effectively, including experience with budget forecasting and revenue management. This person will understand how to convey finances in a manner that goes beyond the numbers and allows the organization to see how the data translates into mission, strategy, and impact. Candidates also must be fluent in budget planning tools and relevant technologies and programs.
Process and Project Management
The MD will bring a depth of experience identifying and implementing opportunities for increased efficiency and collaboration within and across teams. Leveraging the expertise of those around them and driving toward clarity around roles and responsibilities is key. The MD will understand how to translate the goals and strategies of an organization into actionable plans, which they will then operationalize in partnership with others. Deep project management experience that entails holding the overall goals of a project while directing and executing specific tasks and ensuring stakeholders are appropriately engaged along the way will be integral to success.
Location & Compensation
This is a full-time position. The estimated salary is $207,000 for candidates based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and $181,800 for national candidates in other areas of the U.S. The exact salary will depend on level of experience. EF provides a comprehensive benefits package, including competitive salary, medical, dental, vision, disability, and retirement benefits and paid time off.
EF is a remote-first work environment. Employees have the option to work remotely, or in our offices in San Francisco; Washington, D.C.; or Raleigh, NC.
Energy Foundation’s EEO Statement
At EF, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are top organizational commitments. They are working daily to uproot racism and other forms of oppression and create equitable systems that support people to flourish. They aim to bring humility, transparency, respect, and an appreciation for others’ lived experiences to our interactions with colleagues, grantees, and partners.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the Become a Candidate button.