RESULTS Educational Fund (RESULTS) is a movement of passionate, committed everyday people using their voices to bring an end to poverty.
Since 1980, RESULTS has identified the highest-impact policy solutions to poverty and cultivated an advocacy movement that secured the political leadership, focus, and resources to get the job done. They have worked to change dozens of government policies, help pass legislation, and unlock tens of billions of dollars in government funding for the fight against poverty.
RESULTS knows that poverty cannot end as long as oppression exists; and commits to opposing all forms of oppression and pledges to create space for all voices, including those who are currently experiencing poverty.
RESULTS has affiliates and partners across five continents and a powerful network of volunteer advocates across all 50 states supported by a staff of grassroots organizers, policy and legislative experts, advocates, and media advocacy specialists.
With a shared goal of ending poverty, RESULTS is a non-partisan organization with a nation-wide network of volunteer advocates who utilize the incredible power of their voices to change the world.
Learn more about RESULTS here.
RESULTS seeks an exceptional seasoned leader and decisive strategist to help propel its mission and vision forward. This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial systems-thinker who is passionate about the mission of RESULTS to end poverty in the U.S. and around the world.
The Vice President, Campaigns & Advocacy holds overall responsibility and accountability for leading, inspiring, and managing the Campaigns Department to accomplish bold, impactful, policy change through proven and innovative advocacy strategies. They will advance the organization’s goals by skillfully leveraging and building the RESULTS grassroots advocacy network and strategic partnerships and guiding parallel, direct, and staff-led advocacy efforts with the U.S. government and other key global entities. They will lead our advocacy strategies in ways that fully live into our organizational values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion through all aspects of our work.
The Vice President, Campaigns & Advocacy will serve as a thought partner and work closely with the organization’s Executive Director towards achieving the organization’s mission and defining its vision. Sitting on the executive leadership team, they will share ownership for the strategic direction of the organization, recognize and respond to potential risks and opportunities, and uphold organization-wide priorities.
The Vice President, Campaigns & Advocacy will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for advocacy and grassroots campaign program areas. The position is an integral part of the executive leadership team that drives the overall strategy for the organization and will represent RESULTS on a national and international basis with external audiences. They will oversee and manage the Campaigns Department, currently including five direct reports at the director level. The department is responsible for executing the RESULTS strategy on U.S. and global poverty policy campaigns through mobilizing and growing a nation-wide network of grassroots volunteer advocates, legislative and policy analysis, and direct staff engagement with the U.S. government, World Bank, and other global entities. As the engine that drives the work of RESULTS work forward, the Campaigns Department is the largest at RESULTS with a staff of 20+ grassroots organizers, policy and legislative experts, advocates, and media advocacy specialists.
Additionally, the Vice President will be committed to fostering a culture of philanthropy and will work in close partnership with the Development Department to ensure RESULTS has the strong donor partnerships necessary to achieve its goals and advance the organization’s mission to end poverty in the U.S. and around the world.
Specific responsibilities include:
TEAM & ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP
- Build collaboration and cohesion within and across teams in the Campaigns Department to achieve transformational impact across our array of policy and grassroots network growth priorities.
- Supervise, mentor, and support the career growth and professional development of direct reports and support them in successfully delivering on their roles and shared responsibilities.
- Build a learning culture that strengthens strategic and operational awareness and alignment both within the department and cross-divisionally.
- Develop the necessary systems, processes, and tools to facilitate data collection and knowledge sharing, improve performance, and strengthen our case for support among funding and other partners.
- Be a committed champion for, and inspire the commitment of others to, the organizational values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and ensure these values are central in all aspects of the department’s work and functions including on staff and among our grassroots volunteers and influence both what policy issues we work on as well as the methods by which we engage on them.
STRATEGIC VISION & IMPLEMENTATION
- Set a clear and ambitious policy agenda and targets, with innovative strategies and tactics that effectively leverage the organization’s grassroots advocacy network and efficiently uses the organization’s strengths and resources.
- Galvanize and empower staff across the department and organization to boldly deliver on that strategy through translating organizational goals into successful advocacy campaigns
- Build on the resources and expertise of the organization, department, and volunteers; build strong alignment between long-term mission and near-term actions that inspires and engages staff and volunteers.
- Ensure Campaigns Department consistently delivers its objectives on time and with strategic use of budget. Oversee the development of continual improvements to ensure quality control, consistency of practice, and seamless operations and systems.
- Externally represent the organization and its official policy positions, grassroots impact, and advocacy outcomes with key allies and partner organizations, decision makers, influencers, institutions, and current and potential philanthropic partners nationally and globally to elevate and advance policy and issue goals of RESULTS.
- Represent our advocacy strategy and vision internally including to the board of directors.
DRIVE GROWTH & MEASURE IMPACT
- Work with the Grassroots Impact Team and Expansion and Communications Team to grow the RESULTS grassroots network in terms of breadth and depth of congressional coverage and their level of engagement on key issues. Support the teams to ensure the volunteer network is inclusive by increasing representation, leadership, and voices from frontline and marginalized communities and of people with lived experience of poverty.
- Work in close partnership with Vice President of Development to mobilize financial resources for programming and campaigns by collecting information and tracking progress for strategy evaluation, funder reporting, and proposal development.
- Design appropriate project management and oversight for programmatic work including ensuring department performance data is regularly collected and available for funder reporting, outcomes, and impact assessment and is used to inform ongoing decision-making across various dimensions of work including fundraising activities.
The ideal candidate is a senior leader with solid experience in managing and bringing together high-performing teams and a track record in setting and achieving bold policy targets and driving innovative advocacy campaigns. They are a confident and decisive leader with a minimum of 10-15 years working in advocacy, public policy, and/or movement building.
The incoming candidate must be a solutions-focused and collaborative leader with proven diplomatic and problem-solving skills in a multi-stakeholder environment. Self-directed with sound professional judgement, the ideal candidate is:
An outcomes-driven team builder who leads with a can-do attitude and strives to create people-centered systems, processes, and tools that help teams work better. They model supportive leadership, empathy, transparency, and belief in others while holding individuals and teams accountable. They effectively manage up, advocate for change, and address issues of power and privilege as they arise. They bring the humility and emotional intelligence to form trusting relationships that allow for the co-creation of impactful and equitable processes that support organizational strategy and programming with demonstrated management experience and a collaborative, nurturing approach to supporting work and teams.
A strategic innovator with deep project management experience who can juggle multiple competing projects and priorities while directing and executing specific tasks and ensuring stakeholders are appropriately engaged along the way. With an ability and desire to move between strategy and implementation, the ideal candidate will be a seasoned non-profit leader who understands how to build effective internal partnerships, foster clarity and transparency, and consistently drive towards greater efficiency.
An expert campaign designer who can propel campaigns and programs forward with experience leading through growth, competing interests, opportunities, and change. They can articulate and build alignment between near-term action and long-term goals. They have a proven track record of conceptualizing and implementing successful grassroots advocacy campaigns. They have experience building institutional strategies using matrixed approaches and leveraging multi-disciplinary teams.
A movement builder who has worked with and built strong domestic and/or global networks of volunteers, members, and/or advocacy groups. They have experience developing high-impact and extensive networks and partnerships with influential and complex stakeholders.
A savvy resource mobilizer with a solid understanding of donor cultivation, grants management, and data-driven reporting. They have overseen, managed, or actively participated in rigorous processes that identify priorities, develop strategies, and raise funding resources for campaigns and/or programs. They have ensured high-quality program delivery and have a thorough understanding of complex monitoring and evaluation reporting procedures for large institutional grants. They are an engaging speaker and communicator who sees the inherent connection between strong communications and fundraising. They lead the charge of ensuring that program teams are heavily invested in and part of the fundraising process.
A bold global and/or domestic policy advocate with a solid understanding of the domestic and global policy issues that RESULTS works on. They recognize the levers of change that influence policy and know how to skillfully push and pull on those levers to shape and influence legislation. They ideally have experience leading teams of global and/or domestic policy experts. They communicate effectively with diverse, global audiences and ideally bring relationships with key global stakeholders and/or pivotal legislative and congressional players domestically.
A storyteller who can articulate the power of our work and how what we do drives impact. They look back on what’s been done and communicate why it has mattered and what’s been achieved. They can contextualize our activities and outcomes and illuminate the significance. They can express both what funding commitments have made possible and what more could be achieved with additional resources. They are able to express the unique value RESULTS brings to effecting change in the world and within the larger advocacy communities and partnerships in which our work is situated.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice
RESULTS believes that poverty cannot end as long as oppression exists and is committed to creating an equitable workplace. People of color, members of LGBTQ+ communities, and people with firsthand experience of poverty are strongly encouraged to apply.
While hybrid/remotes schedules are possible, the Vice President role is located in Washington, DC. and candidates must be based within a commutable distance.
Please note all applicants must be authorized to work in the United States; RESULTS is unable to sponsor work visas for this position at this time.
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $180,000 – $195,000.
For all staff and their families, RESULTS Educational Fund pays 100% of the premiums and out-of-pocket costs (deductibles, co-pays, prescriptions, etc.) for our CareFirst reference plan, which includes medical and dental coverage. RESULTS offers flexible spending accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation/parking costs to which employees may contribute with pre-tax payroll deductions. RESULTS offers a 401(k) Retirement Plan which has both pre- and post-tax contribution options.
RESULTS also offers short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage at no cost to employees. Short term disability insurance monthly benefit maximum: 60% of weekly earnings to a maximum of $1,500. Long-term disability insurance monthly benefit maximum: 60% of monthly earnings to a maximum of $6,000. The life insurance benefit amount is one year’s salary up to $150,000 maximum. The effective date for this coverage is the employee’s date of hire.
RESULTS offers generous paid annual leave earned on an accrual basis and carried forward from year-to-year but capped at the following levels: 15 days of vacation, 10 days of sick leave, and 5 days of personal leave. In addition to federal holidays, RESULTS closes its offices the last week of the year without requiring leave.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resumé and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via GoodCitizen’s candidate portal. Letters may be addressed to Jailan Adly.
The following team from GoodCitizen has been retained by RESULTS for their search: