About Sunstone Strategies
Sunstone Strategies is a mission-driven communications and public affairs firm working to end fossil fuel pollution and build healthy, regenerative communities. Established in 2018, Sunstone develops and leads communications campaigns to shape, pass, and implement equitable climate policies and hold polluters accountable.
Sunstone offers a rare mix of state and federal climate policy expertise, advocacy and campaign strategy, opposition research, digital communications, and top-notch public relations skills, allowing them to design effective campaigns that open overton windows and slam doors shut on false solutions. Sunstone works hand in hand with coalitions, uniting diverse stakeholders on a common goal to reduce emissions and build a clean energy system that works for all.
Sunstone focuses their efforts on the largest sources of fossil fuel pollution, from the power sector to transportation, buildings, heavy industry, and retiring the nation’s methane gas system. These efforts are led by a seasoned team of high performers who pull from a wealth of skills needed for Sunstone’s unique approach. Sunstone has led communications campaigns securing clean car and electric truck standards in more than a dozen states and has supported more than one hundred cities and several states in adopting green building codes that phase out gas hookups. The company is a driving force behind the much of the most important reporting exposing fossil fuel industry tactics and disinformation to fight climate change policy adoption in recent years.
To learn more about Sunstone, please visit their website.
Sunstone Strategies is seeking a Managing Director to join their team and make a significant impact in advancing their mission to combat fossil fuel pollution and foster regenerative communities. The Managing Director will collaborate closely with Sunstone’s visionary Principal and Founder and will lead and manage campaigns on behalf of diverse coalitions and stakeholders to advance climate policy, taking a role at the forefront of the climate movement.
In this role, the Managing Director will lead Sunstone’s remote program team while also playing a pivotal role in the strategy and growth of the company, fostering client relationships and delivering high-quality contributions in alignment with Sunstone’s mission and values. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of federal and state climate policy politics and knows how to design and lead communications strategies for social change.
Team Leadership & Development
- Collaborate closely with the Principal to define and execute the organization’s strategic vision, aligning it with the mission to combat fossil fuel pollution and promote equitable climate policies.
- Provide high-level thought leadership and strategic guidance, ensuring the organization’s goals are translated into actionable campaigns.
- Lead the Program Team, cultivating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and excellence within a diverse team responsible for campaign management, public relations, strategic communications, policy development and coalition building.
- Foster collaboration, cohesion, and career development within the Program Team, ensuring team members are mentored, supported, and empowered to excel in fulfilling their roles and shared responsibilities.
Program Operational Excellence
- Oversee the Program Team’s performance, ensuring they consistently meet objectives within budget and implement continuous improvements for quality control, improved workflow, and adherence to timelines.
- Implement continuous improvements to maintain quality control, uphold consistent practices, and streamline campaign operations and systems.
Campaign Design, Strategy, Development, and Management
- Oversee, advise, and develop campaigns in partnership with coalition partners and driven by funder goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership on multiple campaigns and projects. Advise, develop, and execute on communication plans, strategies and tactics.
- Collaborate closely with coalition partners and the Program Team to monitor progress, identify potential challenges, and adapt strategies in real-time to maximize their impact on climate policy.
- Lead coalition communications and find alignment on issues and work diplomatically between many parties. Embed within coalition partners to provide strategic guidance on communications tactics and execution.
Media Relations Management and Message Development
- Manage media relations efforts, including establishing and nurturing relationships with media outlets, journalists, and influencers to enhance the organization’s presence.
- Oversee message and narrative development for various campaigns.
- Oversee the creation of compelling press releases, op-eds, LTEs, fact sheets, websites, social properties and other collateral
- Lead media pitching strategy that successfully places stories and op-eds within local and national print and digital publications.
- Ensure consistent and compelling messaging across all communications channels.
- Collaborate with the Principal to support fundraising efforts by monitoring funder landscape and establishing new/maintaining existing relationships for the organization.
- Contribute to business development in both philanthropic and fee-for-service client base.
Ideal Candidate & Qualifications
Sunstone Strategies is in search of an exceptional Managing Director who embodies the organization’s values, shares its mission to combat climate change, and possesses a unique blend of skills and experience ideally suited to their strategic communication focus on climate policy. They are seeking a senior leader with a minimum of 10-15 years of experience in campaign development, strategic communications, climate policy and team management.
The Ideal candidate is a decisive implementer with a driving passion for undoing the social license of the fossil fuel industry. They should have a proven ability to translate vision into action. They will exhibit the following qualifications:
Campaigns Implementor: A proven strategic leader with a track record of effectively managing and unifying high-performance teams, driving consensus among diverse stakeholders, fostering innovation, and achieving impactful outcomes. They should have experience in building and optimizing teams, program operations, and successful campaigns that have influenced policy.
Climate Policy Expertise: A deep understanding of domestic climate policy and advocacy issues or demonstrated transferrable experience showcasing the ability to identify and leverage the key drivers of policy change and navigate complex policy landscapes with ease.
Strategic Communications Proficiency: A skilled communicator with a strong background in leading strategic communications teams. They must have a demonstrated ability to guide and mentor strategic communicators in developing and executing effective campaigns that drive tangible results and policy change.
Collaborative Leadership: A collaborative leader who cultivates an environment where individuals are empowered to lead and innovate together. They should be a champion of teamwork, alignment, and effective communication across the organization.
Outcomes-Driven Team Builder: An outcomes-focused team builder with deep project management expertise and a strong grasp of climate policy who can drive tangible results through strategic communication initiatives.
Location & Salary
The salary range for Managing Director role is $200,000 to $250,000 depending on experience. This is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package.
This is a remote position with a preference for Northern California, New York City or Washington D.C.
Sunstone Strategies’ EEO Statement
Sunstone Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to transparent and equitable recruitment, hiring and promotion processes that foster inclusion and belonging. The climate movement has long suffered from, and been less effective, due the absence of partnership with impacted communities and racial and social justice movements.
We believe that diversity in our team is not just a value but brings different lived experience and perspective that is essential to solving the climate crisis. We strongly encourage applicants from communities that have been underrepresented in this space to apply for this position.
To Be Considered
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
GoodCitizen has been exclusively retained by Sunstone Strategies to lead this search. For questions, please contact: