Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change and is embarking on a new strategic direction to strengthen the power of groups who face systemic barriers to resources and opportunities – especially BIPOC leaders, their organizations, and communities. Tides believes that to achieve shared prosperity and social justice, we must take a collaborative, bold approach to the work. Tides has over $1B in assets under management and services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, corporate social impact advising, grantmaking, impact investing and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. Unlike a traditional donor-funded non-profit, Tides generates income to fund its operations from fees charged to the partners they provide service to.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. They are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change in how they lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, Tides has welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize their strategic plan, increased resources and capacity focused on operational excellence, and grown the core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve their partners and to move forward in alignment with the new strategic direction.
For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships (Senior Director) will lead Tides’ Strategic Partnerships team and a segmented audience approach to target and proactively recruit new, well aligned partners and revenue at Tides. The Senior Director will play an instrumental role in refining and implementing Tides’ client partnerships development and recruitment strategies to four key audience segments: foundations, corporate partners, individual and family donors, and social change leaders (community leaders, organizers, and activists). The Senior Director will lead Tides’ partnerships development cycle and efforts to drive conversion of new partnerships opportunities that are a fit with Tides’ Vision, Mission, and Approach (VMA) through consultative recruitment efforts across all four key audience segments.
This leader will ensure that the Strategic Partnerships team centers Tides’ Impact Goal of strengthening the power of groups who face systemic barriers to resources and opportunities – especially BIPOC leaders, their organizations, and communities.
The Senior Director will report to and work closely with the Chief Partnerships Officer to refine and implement a customer lifecycle approach to formalize new partner development and intake processes at Tides. These efforts will be implemented in close collaboration with the Marketing and Communications and Partner Services teams for ongoing engagement and conversion of segment leads. Based on target partner profiles developed collaboratively with the Partner Services Directors, the Senior Director is responsible for managing the entire recruitment cycle for all new partners and services from design of engagement through outreach, closing, contracting and hand off to the partner support teams for onboarding, with Partner Services Directors making final decisions about which partners will be selected and onboarded.
The position will supervise a team managing new partnership opportunities, including Senior Advisors and Advisors focused on key segment growth, and intake and onboarding of converted opportunities, as well as two Operations staff providing administrative and operational support for the recruitment cycle pipeline and reporting. The Senior Director’s leadership of Strategic Partnerships will guide overall segment strategies for new partner recruitment and intake processes and procedures of new partners.
This leader will work closely and collaboratively with Directors across the organization to develop, implement and advise Tides’ Executive Team on key organizational and personnel policies. In addition, the Senior Director will collaborate directly with service team Directors and team leads in Finance, Legal Risk and Compliance, HR, Business Operations and Partner Services on ongoing new partner assessment, intake and onboarding process refinement, service offering strategy refinement, and pricing.
The Senior Director’s specific areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
Proactive Partner Recruitment
- Partner with Marketing & Communications to develop a proactive marketing strategy aimed at building awareness & interest in Tides’ service offerings amongst the four target partner segments. The Marketing & Communications team will lead on implementing this strategy.
- Identify, vet, and coordinate promotional opportunities for Tides aimed at recruiting new partners, including but not limited to speaking engagements, event sponsorships, and cross-promotional partnerships. Meet impact goals of increasing partnerships with BIPOC led organizations and organizations servicing communities of color.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications to track performance of proactive marketing efforts against a set of KPIs aimed at measuring the new partnership opportunities generated through these efforts.
- Work with Tides’ Partnerships Leadership Team to ensure that Tides has clear criteria for partner recruitment and selection for each partner segment, assessing both Tides ability and capacity to meet their needs, and alignment with Tides’ impact goal.
- Manage the Strategic Partnerships team to ensure all prospective Tides partners have an excellent experience during the partner recruitment process and are vetted against the recruitment criteria in a timely and efficient way.
Team Leadership & Management
- Oversee a team of full-time employees, including Advisors, Senior Advisors, and Operations staff. Meet regularly with this team, providing regular management and performance feedback and support, ensuring they are in the best possible position to succeed in their roles.
- Lead department team building culture and activities. Build a culture of equity, inclusion, trust, transparency, and accountability.
- Provide professional development guidance, and growth opportunities to all members of the Strategic Partnerships team, serving as a coach and a mentor.
- Ensure that prospective Tides partners are matched with Advisors and Senior Advisors from the Strategic Partnerships team in a way that aligns both with the prospective partners’ needs and interest, as well as the team members capacity, capabilities, interest areas, and development goals.
- Host regular team meetings to review the new partnerships pipeline, team capacity and portfolios, and track progress towards annual impact, capacity, and fee targets.
- Work with the Chief Partnerships Officer and the Chief Financial Officer to set annual new partner fee revenue targets as part of the annual budgeting process; track and report on new partner-driven fee revenue on a quarterly basis.
- Work with the Chief Partnerships Officer and the Chief Impact Officer to set annual new partner impact targets, based on new partner alignment with Tides’ strategic impact goal, track and report on new partner impact on a quarterly basis.
- Work with the Partnerships Leadership Team to assess available capacity to deliver service to new partners; ensure that new partner onboardings do not exceed Tides’ service delivery capacity.
- As a senior leader in the organization, regularly contribute to internal conversations around organization strategy and direction.
- As a senior leader in the organization, regularly report to the Executive Team and the Board of Directors on new partnership recruitment, progress towards annual goals, and other topics related to Strategic Partnerships and partnership recruitment.
Tides seeks a collaborative, equity-driven, strategic, and empathetic leader with a robust knowledge of and experience with the progressive social impact sector. The Senior Director will have deep skills in mission-based consultative partnership development and a track record of success in developing new partner and/or client relationships and moving prospects to satisfied partners and/or clients while holding firm to the organization’s mission and vision. This person will be skilled at working with high-net-worth individuals, senior foundation leaders, corporate social impact leaders, and movement leaders & activists. This leader will have a demonstrated commitment to social change and ability to engage in strategic thinking and conversation around issues of shared prosperity and social justice.
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader who believes in building and sustaining a strong team dynamic where equity, inclusion, diversity is central to the work and culture. The Senior Director will value the input and expertise of the Strategic Partnerships team members and is proactive in providing professional development opportunities. This person will bring exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills and experience working in complex team settings.
Location is flexible with San Francisco/Bay Area or New York City preferred; open to remote elsewhere in the U.S. with the ability to travel to San Francisco and New York City as required.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
With the understanding that no one person will offer every desired skill and characteristic outlined below, compelling candidates will offer much of the following:
- 15+ years of relevant and applicable work experience in field of nonprofit management, business development, charitable intermediaries, or consulting and/or philanthropic advising or consulting.
- Deep knowledge of Donor Advised Funds and Fiscal Sponsorship tools strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated background working with or for social justice organizations, advocacy movements, and/or organizers.
- Experience developing and implementing an internal business/partnerships development process and managing a business/partnerships development team. This would include building a motivated, high-performance team as well as managing a pipeline and keeping contacts current in Salesforce.
- Strength in people and culture management with the ability to lead through organizational change.
- Experience developing high-impact marketing materials that support the organization’s brand.
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including proposal and report development and presentation with partners and other stakeholders. A compelling presenter to groups and at conferences.
- Strong data analytic skills, including the ability to assimilate and present information in a clear and concise manner, as well as the ability to put information within a strategic framework.
- Highly motivated for success and working toward both mission and financial goals.
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple demands with comfort.
- Holds self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results.
- Maintains a high level of integrity and consistent ethical judgment in all working relationships and related duties.
- Experience developing, tracking, and reporting on metrics and KPIs to track business/partnership development success, including revenue projections.
- Demonstrated experience working in a complex, collaborative environment.
- Proficiency with Salesforce as a lead management tool required.
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree, especially MBA preferred, or equivalent business/partnership development experience.
Compensation and Benefits
Location is flexible anywhere in the U.S. with the ability to travel to San Francisco and New York City as required. The salary range for this role is $180,000 – $220,000 based on geographic location, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. Tides offers a generous benefits package including: comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, life and disability insurances, retirement plan, educational assistance, confidential counseling and life balance resources designed to support the passion, commitment and energy that is vital to our team members.
Tides’ EEO Statement
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To Be Considered
Applications are no longer being accepted for this role.