Founded in 2008, the US Water Alliance advances policies and programs that build a sustainable water future for all. The Alliance is driving a One Water movement—an approach to water stewardship that is innovative, inclusive, and integrated.
The US Water Alliance advances the One Water movement by its mission to:
- Educate. Build a diverse base of One Water Champions through mutual discovery, education, and engagement with all who have a stake in our water future. Education and public awareness through initiatives like the Value of Water Campaign lead to public and political will for investment in sustainable water infrastructure and water resources.
- Accelerate. Convene diverse interests to identify and advance practical, achievable solutions to our nation’s most pressing water challenges. US Water Alliance does this through a multi-faceted set of programs that support knowledge building and peer exchange, such as: An Equitable Water Future, One Water Hub, and more.
- Celebrate. Celebrate what works to spread and drive innovation in water. For Example, the US Water Prize shines a light on those who engage in groundbreaking work and focuses attention on how One Water leaders are building stronger communities and a stronger America.
The US Water Alliance is a national nonprofit organization with offices in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. For more information, please visit their website at: uswateralliance.org.
In this newly created position, the Vice President of Partnerships has the opportunity to join a passionate and collaborative organization operating on the frontlines of the One Water movement. The US Water Alliance’s work intersects with and impacts a myriad of this country’s most critical challenges around economic growth, environmental sustainability, and equitable outcomes. Through its convening power, and by serving as a platform for engagement and learning, the work of the Alliance and its cross-sector partners has the power to transform how water is viewed, valued, and managed, ensuring a sustainable water future for all communities.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and sitting on the Executive Management Team, the Vice President of Partnerships will set and execute against a comprehensive membership and fundraising strategy, raising awareness of the Alliance and supporting the organization in pursuing ambitious plans for programmatic growth. With a robust existing network of members and funders, the Vice President will be charged with leading the organization into a more strategic and proactive phase of revenue generation, capitalizing on the wealth of existing opportunities while also analyzing and prioritizing untapped potential in the member and funder landscapes. Central to this revenue generation work is effective and compelling communication. As such, the Vice President will oversee the Communications team and will partner closely with the CEO in setting the vision and direction for the Alliance’s messaging and branding.
- Partner with senior leadership and the Board to set a dynamic revenue generation strategy, defining goals to support steady growth in the coming years
- Explore new revenue streams and opportunities to enhance the Alliance’s resources by advancing its position with relevant constituents, driving broader awareness, and sparking donor interest and support
- Collaborate with Board Members in membership and donor cultivation
- Work closely with the Alliance’s CEO and Communications staff to ensure the organization’s brand and value proposition resonates with, and effectively connects to, the breadth of Alliance donors and prospects
Membership and Corporate Sponsorships
- Identify top member prospects to engage and steward, leveraging the expertise and time of the CEO and Program staff appropriately
- Partner closely with the Executive Management Team to thoughtfully transition relationships with new members for ongoing engagement and management
- Deepen and expand the Alliance’s engagement in corporate sponsorships, further diversifying the organization’s funding streams
- In partnership with relevant team members, oversee the management of philanthropic relationships and funding opportunities; ensure that proposals and reports to foundations are properly prepared and tracked
- Assist the organization in anticipating funding trends and lead the strategic pursuit of philanthropy that will advance the Alliance’s work in a mission-aligned manner
- As part of the US Water Alliance’s Executive Management Team, lead, coach, and mentor staff in an effort to build a positive team culture and develop the organizational systems that support sustainable growth
- Supervise the Alliance’s Development and Communications team, including the Communications Manager, Membership & Development Associate, and external communications consultants
- Promote a culture of high performance, continuous learning, and commitment to high quality work
Above all else, a successful candidate will lead with their belief in, and commitment to, the Alliance’s mission to advance a sustainable water future for all. The incoming Vice President of Partnerships must champion the idea that solving America’s water challenges requires the resolve, innovation, and boldness of cross-sector leaders driving towards scalable solutions. The Vice President will elevate the work of the Alliance to its next levels of impact through their deep experience as a fundraiser and membership professional.
The selected candidate will be skilled at working with a myriad of external constituencies ranging from philanthropic institutions to public agencies and private sector companies. As such, the incoming Vice President will operate with fluency across stakeholders while stewarding relationships with the delicate balance of grace and tenacity required to pursue top prospects. Internally, the Vice President must display a highly collaborative workstyle with the ability to operate as a peer and thought partner to the CEO with regard to membership and fundraising.
The Vice President will be highly knowledgeable about how to fundraise for causes, movements, and issues, understanding how to convey a compelling story about the Alliance’s work. Deep experience translating complex, layered issues into persuasive narratives is essential. The ideal candidate will bring experience tailoring compelling content to diverse audience and constituent groups, with an eye towards overall consistency across organizational tone and approach to messaging. While content expertise in the water space is helpful but not required, candidates must possess the intellectual curiosity and drive to become a credible, respected representative of the organization.
The incoming Vice President will join a fast-paced team that operates with a sense of urgency fueled by passion and the pressing nature of the work at hand. This role requires a self-driven, ambitious individual who brings an innate understanding of how to manage through influence. Despite the enormity of the challenges that lie ahead in their mission, the Alliance understands how to celebrate successes and seeks a Vice President who leads with positivity and a belief in what is possible.
Candidates must possess a minimum of ten years of senior fundraising and/or membership experience, with significant experience at the strategic leadership level. Excellent communication and project management skills are required.
As a member of the Executive Management Team, candidates must also demonstrate strong team management, coaching, and mentorship capacities.
The preference is for the Vice President to be based in one of the Alliance’s offices in Oakland, CA or Washington, D.C., but other locations will be considered. Domestic travel will be required.
To Be Considered
The US Water Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Please submit your resume and a cover letter that expresses both your passion for the mission and fit for the role by clicking “Become a Candidate”