GoodCitizen provides executive search and leadership advisory services to mission-driven organizations. Our purpose is impact. The pressing challenges in our communities and around the world – and the best ideas for addressing them – converge on questions of leadership. GoodCitizen exists to help social sector organizations (philanthropies, non-profits, social enterprises) build leadership teams that can make a difference and drive change.
We are looking for a Vice President to join our executive search team. The Vice President will be responsible for a) developing and serving our clients and b) helping build the GoodCitizen organization as a distinctive partner for social sector talent.
Key responsibilities include:
The Vice President is responsible for developing relationships with, and leading search projects for, GoodCitizen clients. GoodCitizen search projects typically begin with an inbound inquiry by a potential client who has heard about our team and work. The VP converts the opportunity to an engagement and then leads the client through a comprehensive search process. In Phase 1 (“Kickoff”), the VP meets with key client stakeholders to explain the GoodCitizen approach, learn about the organization and mission, scope the role, define criteria, and set a strategy. In Phase 2 (“Outreach”), the VP works with GoodCitizen staff to share the role to relevant individuals and networks and to qualify promising candidates. In Phase 3 (“Selection”), the VP works closely with the client to facilitate an evaluation process and provide advice on finalist candidates. Projects typically take 3-4 months to complete, with the VP leading several projects simultaneously, supported by GoodCitizen staff.
As a senior member of GoodCitizen’s team, the Vice President will also help shape the GoodCitizen organization itself. This includes providing leadership and input on our organization’s strategy, processes, and policies. Perhaps most importantly, the VP will play a role in shaping our culture. The VP will be expected to invest in developing and mentoring staff and leading by example on values which include:
We partner with organizations that are dedicated to building a better world – to advancing social justice, to fostering equitable outcomes in human potential, to sustaining our planet. They are making a difference. We support them.
Equity is at the center of our vision for society. We challenge ourselves to advance our understanding of equity at the personal, organizational and society levels. We embrace the contributions we can make as core to our mission.
In the face of daunting challenges facing our communities and society at large, our clients are choosing to do something about it. This can-do attitude infuses our own team as well. We respect complexity. We see possibility.
We are in it for the long game, recognizing that achieving lasting impact is a challenge, sometimes two steps forward, one back. We are resilient, steadily building client organizations and our own team, sustained by purpose.
Guiding with Courage
We value conversations that take courage. To help our clients make the best decisions, we embrace transparency and deliver insights candidly. We build trust by upholding the highest levels of honesty and integrity.
Believing in Community
From our founding team to our newest consultants, we build authentic human connections with all stakeholders. We believe an ever-growing community of diverse social sector leaders is a worthwhile purpose in and of itself.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a “builder”, bringing: 1) direct experience in the social sector, e.g., as a leader of a nonprofit or philanthropic organization; 2) experience leading executive search projects and structuring teams; 3) experience leading on diversity and equity; and 4) a track record of success operating in entrepreneurial environments.
- 10+ years of experience leading teams
- 10+ years of experience in the social sector
- 5-8+ years of experience as recruitment professional or search leader
- Equity: well-grounded in social justice and equity
- Connection: a systems thinker who builds authentic and respectful connections across communities and stakeholders in the nonprofit, business, and public sectors
- Non-profit management: including building and managing a board of directors, developing strategic plans, fundraising, and managing staff
- Consultative: direct experience delivering consulting services; known for distinctive client service ethic, well-honed communication skills, and project management capabilities
- Business Building: has a track record of business building, including originating and growing client relationships
- Facilitation: prior experience serving, or working with, a search committee; Experience working effectively with an engaged Board of Directors
- Entrepreneurial: accustomed to prioritizing and achieving results in lean environments; engages and lends a hand when/where needed
- Relationship builder: distinctive ability to maintain effective connectivity with wide range stakeholders
- Mentorship: a natural mentor; attracts and develops outstanding people
- Execution: prior success in translating a vision into new operations and programs
- International work experience and/or multilingual capabilities helpful
- Self-supportive with office technologies, e.g., MS Office
- Preferred locations: Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, or DC
The compensation for this role is a base in the range of $120K-$150K plus bonus potential, 401K, and health benefits.
GoodCitizen is an equal opportunity employer and committed to an inclusive work culture. All candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, gender identity, age, religion or belief, family or parental status or any other status protected by law.
To Be Considered
Please submit a resume and a brief note summarizing your interest and qualifications.
Any questions about this role should be addressed to Melissa Merritt email@example.com
Thank you in advance for your interest!