About Vote Solar
Vote Solar’s mission is to realize a 100% clean energy future through a solutions-driven, people first approach. Founded in 2002, Vote Solar advances just and equitable clean energy policy in state legislatures and public commissions across the United States. Their expertise comes from a deep understanding of the legislative process, regulatory interventions, and the ability to identify and accelerate solar solutions. Vote Solar is adept at bridging communities and bringing diverse stakeholders together to forge inclusive coalitions and winning campaigns.
Vote Solar’s goal is to effect real, tangible change. Twenty years in, their work has made it so that one in three people live in a state with a 100% clean energy commitment. They strive not only to expand that number but also ensure that more people can participate in holding utilities and decision makers accountable for greater equity and justice in our energy system.
The fact that solar energy is plentiful, popular, and has a unique ability to shift power to the people is the key to Vote Solar’s winning combination of deep policy expertise, regulatory knowledge, coalition building, and public engagement to help build a strong, just, and inclusive 100% powered future.
The Managing Director, Access & Equity will join a dynamic and passionate organization in the thick of efforts to repower communities with sunshine and to build a thriving clean economy with affordable solar energy for all! We are committed to being an anti-racist organization both internally and in our external advocacy.
Learn more about Vote Solar here.
The Access & Equity Team
Vote Solar’s Access & Equity Team is a central driving force behind the organization’s mission to ensure more people have a stake in the renewable energy economy. As Vote Solar advocates for energy policies and programs that address the barriers faced by historically underinvested and marginalized communities, the voices of those communities must be heard directly. To ensure that happens, the Access & Equity Team builds partnerships with community organizations and environmental justice groups to co-design policy and regulatory recommendations across the country.
The Access & Equity Team is comprised of policy, advocacy, and coalition building experts who work hand-in-hand with Vote Solar’s National Program Team. Together, they formulate policy and regulatory solutions intended to break down a century of energy inequities and push states towards a more equitable clean energy future. This includes policies to support inclusive participation in the energy decision-making process, energy bill savings, job and wealth creation, improved air quality, and enhanced public health outcomes.
This is an exciting moment for a dynamic and transformative leader to expand and more firmly integrate the Access & Equity Team’s work in Vote Solar’s strategic engagement and in clean energy advocacy more broadly. Reporting to the Executive Director and as a member of the senior leadership team, they will spearhead and set Vote Solar’s external-facing access and equity strategy. They will work collaboratively with the senior leadership team to ensure that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) measures are embedded across the organization’s policy and regulatory recommendations in addition to aligning with the internal DEIJ work being led by the Talent & Culture Team. They will also be critical to establishing our voice and thought leadership nationally on the importance of DEIJ to a sustainable energy future.
It is imperative that Vote Solar’s commitment to access and equity is shared and practiced by all team members and reflected in how policy is designed, and programs are executed. To accomplish this, the Managing Director will coordinate across internal departments to identify clean energy policies and partnerships that advance a 100% clean energy future accessible for all. They will collaborate particularly closely with the National Program Team to develop policy recommendations and regulatory interventions that integrate an access and equity lens in Vote Solar’s work around the country. Creating systems and processes that make it easy for the National Program Team to fully leverage the expertise of the Access &Equity Team is an essential part of this role.
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Develop a strategic plan for Access & Equity Team to ensure alignment around key priorities, direction, and strategic goals; communicate clearly and often with internal and external stakeholders regarding the Access & Equity Team’s overall strategic direction
- Design and implement strong systems and processes to effectively leverage and support the collective talent of the Access & Equity Team to embed access and equity into Vote Solar’s overall policy and regulatory recommendations for the energy and solar sectors
- Champion teamwork and alignment across the organization by providing effective communication, coaching, performance management, and professional development; design clear systems regarding accountability, decision-making, operations, and processes at all levels
- Lead a team of policy experts to articulate Vote Solar’s access and equity policy positions and regulatory recommendations
- Identify issue areas that can advance the field of equitable solar and act as an ambassador for the organization at key events, media opportunities, speaking engagements, op-eds, and serving on advisory panels
- Build and nurture effective partnerships with state and national organizations on behalf of Vote Solar
Policy and Partnership Support
- Consult and guide the National Program Team in the development and implementation of policy positions on complex solar and energy justice related issues; direct and guide the Access & Equity Team as they work with program staff to identify appropriate resources and potential partnerships to inform and advance Vote Solar’s position
- Lead the organization’s commitment and application of our Just Partnership Principles
- Guide and set priorities for the Access & Equity Team including in building strategic partnerships with communities of color, frontline communities, and others most impacted by the climate crisis and current energy system
Cross Department Collaboration and Learning
- Manage a process of internal communication, coordination, documentation, and evaluation with the National Program Team to ensure cohesive collaboration and strategic engagement that advances equitable and just clean energy policies
- Facilitate knowledge sharing on the intersection of DEIJ and energy to establish a consistent understanding of research, insights, and best practices; assist with developing plans for cross-departmental learning on topics such as equitable clean energy policy, environmental and energy justice, etc.
- Partner with Communications Team to inform strategic communications plans; the Philanthropy Team to strengthen funder relationships, attend funder meetings, and identify new ways to support grassroots organizations; and the Director of Talent & Culture to ensure alignment with internal equity work
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Growth and Learning
- Continue personal learning and contributions to organizational work on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Be committed to embedding equity in all organizational internal practices and culture
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity
Vote Solar seeks a Managing Director whose values, personal mission, and expertise align with the organization’s commitment to pursuing an equitable and just transition to 100% clean energy. They seek candidates who are excited by, committed to, and skilled at embedding equity into programming and organizational practices.
The Access & Equity Team is a centralized function within Vote Solar and actively supports and partners with divisions across the organization including the National Program Team. The Managing Director is a participatory decision-maker who seeks input from a variety of stakeholders, listens to the ideas and concerns of others, and keeps staff and partners informed of decisions that impact them.
As Vote Solar continues to integrate equity into all aspects of its work, the new Managing Director’s mandate will be to set strong strategic vision and guidance for operationalizing Vote Solar’s access and equity work across the organization. Leading with humility, the Managing Director will navigate the Access & Equity Team through a time of growth and expansion. They should have a track record of taking teams through highly collaborative change and strategy-setting processes as well as building buy-in across large multifaceted organizations.
Vote Solar is cracking open the old, centralized fossil fuel paradigm and driving the kind of system-wide change needed to reach 100% clean power. This requires a leader who can embrace risk-taking, learn from mistakes, and engage in the organization’s shift away from white supremacy cultural norms. They seek a leader who has demonstrated an ability to break down silos, keep commitments, be anti-racist, and build coalitions and consensus across diverse perspectives and multiple lines of difference. As the external champion of Vote Solar’s Equity & Access Team, they must have a solid grounding in DEIJ that centers around policy development, campaign building, and community engagement. Demonstrated success in policy advocacy or regulation in intersectional issues is highly valued.
While experience working in the energy climate movement is not required; experience in solar, clean energy, climate, and/or environmental justice is preferred as this role will be expected to serve as a key spokesperson for Vote Solar – one who can effectively communicate its vision, mission, and value proposition to myriad audiences. They should be prepared to represent the organization and its commitment to DEIJ with credibility and enthusiasm.
This position can be a remote position with a preference for candidates based near a transportation hub or based at one of Vote Solar’s locations (Oakland, CA; New York, NY; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; or Boston, MA). During the COVID-19 pandemic, all Vote Solar staff have been working from home and have ceased work travel. When it is safe to do so, this position will require some national travel. Remote workplace arrangements are flexible, including options to work from a co-working space or work from home.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $140,000 – $160,000. Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive benefits package, including 100% employer-provided health, dental and vision care for both the employee and dependents; a retirement savings plan and an employer match of up to 3.5%; paid parental and medical leave policies for full-time staff; generous vacation and personal leave.
Vote Solar’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice
Vote Solar is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in the workplace and in the communities with which we partner. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including multilingual and multicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political aﬃliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualiﬁed disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the Become a Candidate button.
Applicants applying by May 6th will be given priority consideration, with the position open until filled.
The search for a Managing Director, Access & Equity is being assisted by a team from GoodCitizen: