About Vote Solar
Vote Solar’s mission is to realize a 100% clean energy future through a solutions-driven, people first approach. Founded in 2002, Vote Solar advances just and equitable clean energy policy in state legislatures and public commissions across the United States. Their expertise comes from a deep understanding of the legislative process, regulatory interventions, and the ability to identify and accelerate solar solutions. Vote Solar is adept at bridging communities and bringing diverse stakeholders together to forge inclusive coalitions and winning campaigns.
Vote Solar’s goal is to effect real, tangible change. Twenty years in, their work has made it so that one in three people live in a state with a 100% clean energy commitment. They strive not only to expand that number but also to ensure that more people can participate in holding utilities and decision-makers accountable for greater equity and justice in our energy system.
The fact that solar energy is plentiful, popular, and has a unique ability to shift power to the people is the key to Vote Solar’s winning combination of deep policy expertise, regulatory knowledge, coalition building, and public engagement to help build a strong, just, and inclusive 100% powered future.
The Managing Director of Individual Giving will join a dynamic and passionate organization in the thick of efforts to repower communities with sunshine and to build a thriving clean economy with affordable solar energy for all!
Learn more about Vote Solar here.
The Managing Director of Individual Giving will be a senior member of Vote Solar’s philanthropy team. They will play a vital role in the organization’s fundraising activities (raising approximately $1M of our $10.5M budget). The Director will oversee fundraising efforts from corporate and individual donors at the grassroots, middle, and major gift levels.
Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer, they will help lead a growing team to build a strong base of support from individuals and corporate donors and will personally manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects. The Director will take an active role in coaching Vote Solar staff to successfully engage with and support fundraising efforts. They will manage, develop, and mentor a small individual giving team including the direct management of an Individual Giving Manager.
In addition, the Managing Director will guide Vote Solar’s growing individual philanthropy program, creating exciting, engaging, and thoughtful opportunities and events for donor engagement. This role is critical to solidifying and growing a reliable pipeline of new sources of revenue to sustain and expand Vote Solar’s impact.
Develop and Steward Corporate and Individual Giving Strategy
- Lead the development of Vote Solar’s individual and corporate fundraising strategy to meet or exceed annual goals, in close collaboration with the Executive Director and Chief Philanthropy Officer.
- Plan and set annual fundraising, stewardship, and engagement goals and activities for all individual and corporate donors.
- Grow the major gifts program to increase gifts from high-net-worth donors by developing and implementing individual giving strategies that leverage Vote Solar’s resources and regularly monitor their performance to meet and exceed targets.
Relationship Management and Solicitation
- Lead the identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewarding, and retention of corporate and individual donors; researches and identifies new prospective donors who are capable of making six to seven-figure gifts.
- Manage relationships with a portfolio of 70-80 current and prospective major donors, family foundations, corporate donors, and mid-level donors through all phases of the donor pipeline; identify gift opportunities that closely align with major donors’ interests and design personalized solicitation and stewardship strategies to increase the number of donations and gift levels.
- Oversee Leadership Council activities and communications – including coordinating meetings and agendas, stewarding, soliciting members, and deploying an annual outreach calendar.
Implement a Successful and Effective Fundraising Process
- Successfully close six to seven-figure gifts by reaching out to and cultivating new and existing major donors; regularly track progress to actively identify new major donors and grow the organization’s donor network.
- Provide executive-level support to Vote Solar’s Executive Director and senior leadership in preparation for solicitation or stewardship, including providing meticulous and concise briefing materials, coaching, and preparation for donor meetings.
- Become an expert in Vote Solar’s mission and programs and efficiently uses organizational assets for effective donor communications and stewardship.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate database records in Salesforce CRM; oversee implementation of database policies and procedures for development staff around relationship tracking, gift proposals, donations, and pledges.
Design Creative Donor Experiences & Engagement
- Work closely with staff and other stakeholders to skillfully execute donor prospecting and cultivation events; design innovative events and experiences to keep donors informed and involved.
- Meet with donors and prospects across the country; engage donors and prospects at events and other venues as part of the cultivation process.
Donor Communications Development
- Work with the Communications and Philanthropy teams to ensure that print and online collateral – including newsletters, website, social media, and annual reports align program priorities with donor interests, promote giving, and recognize donors for their support.
- Lead the development of donor-centric communications, including meetings, call scripts, letters, emails, proposals, and events to ensure that all donors receive timely and personalized communications, with all gifts receiving a prompt and appropriate acknowledgment.
The Managing Director of Individual Giving brings 8-10 years of fundraising experience with a proven track record of success in major gifts, increasing annual revenue, and improving donor prospecting processes. Their primary responsibility is to secure funds to support Vote Solar’s mission by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new major and mid-level donors while maintaining donor relationships and developing strategies to increase investment from existing donors.
The Director should be passionate about Vote Solar’s mission and ideally have experience in or a strong interest in clean energy, climate justice, and/or meaningful social change. That passion should fuel their ability to understand donor motivations and connect with donors in a manner that enhances their desires to make a positive impact through their gifts to Vote Solar.
The ideal candidate has experience in all aspects of major gift prospecting with demonstrated experience successfully securing and closing six and seven-figure gifts. They have exhibited expertise in driving fundraising revenue and managing prospects through a major gift pipeline while retaining a portfolio of major donors. Experience developing or overseeing grassroots and/or digital fundraising campaigns is a plus.
The ideal candidate has excellent verbal and written communication skills with a laser-focused eye for details. They are able to confidently write and present to senior audiences on complicated topics, build buy-in through strong communication, and handle sensitive issues with diplomacy. They are a robust analytical problem-solver who has in-depth experience preparing organizational leadership and board members for critical donor conversations and cultivation. They have previously served as the primary relationship manager for donors and used a data-driven approach to track donor relationships. They have a knack for successfully analyzing and predicting a donor’s propensity, capacity, and enthusiasm to give and bring bold ideas to build on that enthusiasm to increase and diversify giving.
They are well organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to prioritize multiple work streams while managing information up to executive leadership in a straightforward way to digest and act upon. They have experience developing innovative donor experiences and events that increase giving and engagement. They have created strategic fundraising plans that have grown current donor gift sizes and significantly increased the number of active major gift donors.
They are comfortable working independently and as a member of a larger team. Experience in building or leading a team is a plus. The Managing Director of Individual Giving has strong public speaking skills and can represent Vote Solar in various settings. They have demonstrated their ability to build and maintain strong donor relationships and management. They are a quick learner who can track and translate complex program work and effectively communicate the outcomes of that work to a variety of audiences in a savvy and engaging manner.
Solid MS Office Suite and database management skills is needed, with experience with Salesforce NSP a plus. Experience managing others is also desired.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice
Vote Solar is committed to being an anti-racist organization both internally and in their external advocacy work.
Vote Solar is an equal opportunity employer committed to DEIJ in the workplace and in the communities with which they partner. Vote Solar strongly encourages and seeks applications from women, people of color, multilingual, and multicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities.
Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political aﬃliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualiﬁed disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The preferred locations for the Managing Director of Individual Giving role are New York, Chicago, or the San Francisco Bay Area. However, this position can be remote with proximity to a major metropolitan area – preference being near Vote Solar hubs, including Boston or Denver.
This position will require some national travel. Remote workplace arrangements are flexible, including options to work from a co-working space or work from home. This position requires occasional evening and weekend work as well as travel. Moreover, the candidate must be open to a flexible work schedule to accommodate organizational fundraising needs.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $156,000 – $164,000. Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive benefits package, including 100% employer-provided health, dental, and vision care for both the employee and dependents; a retirement savings plan and an employer match of up to 3.5%; paid parental and medical leave policies for full-time staff; generous vacation and personal leave.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the “Become a Candidate” button. Letters may be addressed to Jailan Adly.
GoodCitizen has been exclusively retained by Vote Solar to lead this search. For questions, please contact: