GoodCitizen believes that the right leadership can shape the world for good. We are an executive search and leadership advisory firm working to advance leadership for mission-driven organizations. Our clients – philanthropies, non-profits, social enterprises – understand the importance of diverse, connected, and impactful leadership teams and authentic connection with the communities they serve.
We are entering an exciting growth phase and looking to grow our team. We are looking for:
- Highly motivated self-starters with a passion for purpose driven work
- Natural collaborators who enjoy working in an entrepreneurial environment and providing exceptional client and partner experiences
- Eager to partner with premier social sector clients who are at the forefront of driving social change around the world
- Looking to work with a collaborative team that works hard in a collegial and inclusive environment
- A deep commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Active Interest in a career in professional services that build skills in research, sourcing, writing, client service, and business development
GoodCitizen is looking to hire Engagement Managers for our growing executive search practice. Engagement Managers play a strategic role within our search teams. As an Engagement Manager you develop a deep and nuanced understanding of the social sector and the most important issues of our time including; climate change, education, human rights, and social justice. You will gain insights into internal strategies and leadership structures that frame the work of leading foundations, nonprofits, and social impact organizations around the world.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to strengthen and deepen skills in sourcing, writing, assessing candidates, and client services. You will gain deep knowledge in leadership development and learn how to assess talent, diagnose organizational challenges, and design effective leadership strategies. You will use those skills directly to successfully identify new talent to transform organizations at pivotal moments in their growth.
The Engagement Manager Role
Engagement Managers partner with GoodCitizen’s search leads and play a strategic role working across a portfolio of searches while engaging with a diverse array of social impact organizations and the leading talent in the sector. Responsibilities include project, candidate, and client management as well as collaborating with colleagues across our team.
This role is ideal for flexible, adaptable, self-starters who are interested in building and deepening their search careers, and who thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and goal-oriented consulting environment. We seek enthusiastic early career search professionals interested in taking their careers to the next level. At GoodCitizen, Engagement Managers are placed on a mentoring and coaching track that leads toward a Director then Vice President role with the company.
As a boutique search firm, GoodCitizen relies on Engagement Managers as essential and pivotal members of our team. They play a significant role in ensuring high-quality services and outcomes are delivered to our clients and candidates.
Engagement Managers are responsible for leading the project team’s in-depth sector analysis, market landscaping, and talent research strategy. This role is ideal for critical thinkers with high emotional intelligence who excel at adapting their communication and project management styles to meet a variety of client needs. They need a strong strategic and pragmatic approach to search with an ability to consistently and successfully ensure all details are executed well while not losing sight of the larger picture.
An Engagement Manager’s work includes; research strategy, candidate sourcing and assessment, client engagement, and high-level project management. Engagement Managers keep the “trains” running and the role is well suited for highly organized and tactical individuals.
Search project teams are configured according to the needs of each search; Engagement Managers must be comfortable flexing their skills managing up and managing down effectively depending on each project. Engagement Managers also play a large role in mentoring and supporting Search Coordinators and Associates.
We are looking for enthusiastic leaders who have a genuine interest in and curiosity about people. We are building a different kind of search firm and looking for search professionals who are interested in building a collaborative and supportive environment. We are a growing firm and Engagement Managers with a keen interest and desire to play a meaningful support role in business development and growth are welcome.
Engagement Managers are the lead project managers on search teams; ensuring that all logistical and administrative tasks are completed at the highest quality.
- Serve as the project manager and partner with search leads on multiple searches
- Manage agile search workplans; anticipate and adjust to changes and opportunities as needed
- Drive search projects and client meeting logistics; anticipate needs of the internal team and clients to ensure alignment, clarity, and timeliness
Research and Sourcing
As the firm’s research leads, Engagement Managers should have an aptitude for systems, technology, and research.
- Design and implement research and sourcing strategies in partnership with search leads; collaborate with the search team to develop research parameters for a portfolio of searches; conduct research to identify diverse pipelines of candidates and referral sources
- Identify creative new sources and methodologies for finding and engaging candidates; organize data and research findings using online tools and provide analysis
- Actively engage and build relationships with potential and active candidates; support search lead with outreach calls, reference calls, and phone screens
- Utilize best practices for an open and inclusive search process that challenges bias and promotes equity; hone interview and assessment skills by sitting in on interviews and conducting preliminary interviews; do initial vetting of candidate materials with a strong eye for high potential candidates to be elevated
Communication & Client-Service
Engagement Managers should have superb written and verbal communications skills with a strong orientation towards customer service to build positive impressions with clients, and prospective and active candidates.
- Proactively anticipate client needs to effectively respond to emails in a timely and thoughtful manner; tailor communication to various audiences; astute ability to manage up to senior staff and to clients to ensure timelines and milestones are met
- Take an active role in client meetings with a winning strategy for effective note taking; collate and synthesize notes, data, and information at various stages of the search to produce thoughtful and analytical materials (background notes, position profiles, candidate assessments, client reports
- Flex consultative skills by participating in client backgrounding and candidate interviews
- Create reports and proposals, respond to general inquiries about services, and answer candidate inquiries
Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of project management and/or executive search or recruitment experience with proven prioritization and organizational skills.
Recruiting experience is preferred and knowledge of the social sector is an asset. We hire people who embrace the importance of social justice and equity, of finding and placing the right leader in the right role to advance the mission-driven work of the organizations we serve.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
With the understanding that no one person will offer every desired skill or qualification outlined below, compelling candidates will offer much of the following:
- At least 5 years in executive search; social sector search experience is a plus
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and with competing priorities
- Demonstrated experience building trusting and respectful relationships with people internally and externally; GoodCitizen’s team members, candidates, and clients are people from different races, ethnicities, cultures, geography, gender, gender identity, class, and sexual orientation.
- Advanced writing skills for external facing communications – memos, presentations, position descriptions, etc
- Knowledge of and interest in the social sector is an asset
- A strong interest in the importance of social justice and equity
- Demonstrated experience engaging with clients and external partners using a relational, trust-based, and human-centered approach
- Experience with databases or CRMs is preferred
- Brings a workstyle that values collegiality, collaboration, quality, excellence, and fun.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $75,000-$110,000 and will be based on professional background, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. GoodCitizen offers a generous benefits package. While we are working in a hybrid model, this role is based within in-person distance of Seattle or Washington D.C., Los Angeles, or the Bay Area
GoodCitizen is an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally, while also feeling included, respected, and valued. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained impact.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the Become a Candidate button.