GoodCitizen believes that the right leadership can shape the world for good. We are an executive search and leadership advisory firm working to advance leadership for mission driven organizations. Our clients – philanthropies, non-profits, social enterprises – understand the importance of diverse, connected, and impactful leadership teams and authentic connection with the communities they serve.
We are in an exciting growth phase and growing our team. We are looking for:
- Highly motivated self-starters with a passion for purpose driven work
- Natural collaborators who enjoy working in an entrepreneurial environment and providing exceptional client and partner experiences
- Eager to partner with premier social sector clients who are at the forefront of driving social change around the world
- Looking to work with a collaborative team that works hard in a collegial and inclusive environment
- A deep commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- A rigorous process orientation and professional services focus
- Active interest in building skills in research, writing, project management, client services
GoodCitizen is looking to hire Search Associates for our growing executive search practice. Associates play an integral role for our team and for our clients. As a Search Associate, you will develop a deep understanding of the social sector and the most important issues of our time including; climate change, social justice, global development, and human rights. You will gain insights into the internal strategies and leadership structures that frame the work of leading foundations, nonprofits, and social impact organizations around the world.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to develop and hone skills in research, writing, and project management. You will gain deep knowledge in leadership development and learn how to assess talent, diagnose organizational challenges, and design effective leadership strategies. You will use those skills directly to successfully identify new talent to transform organizations at pivotal moments in their growth.
As the backbone of our team, Search Associates ensure GoodCitizen provides high-quality service to our clients and candidates. Working in a matrixed way across a portfolio of searches, Search Associates engage across our team while working on searches with both a diverse array of social impact organizations and the leading talent in the sector. The Senior Associate role is ideal for process-oriented, flexible, adaptable, self-starters who thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and goal-oriented consulting environment. Your responsibilities include; research and project management, collaborating with colleagues across our team, and candidate and client service.
We are seeking enthusiastic learners who possess a genuine interest in and curiosity about people. A collaborative and supportive work style along with a strong orientation towards customer service and proven prioritization and organizational skills are required. A proactive workstyle is essential, senior associates must anticipate needs, effectively tailor communication to various audiences, and be comfortable managing up to senior staff and clients. Candidates must possess superb written and verbal communication skills. An aptitude for systems, technology, and research is also critical to success in this position.
In an entrepreneurial environment like ours, we seek Senior Associates who can serve as true business partners; willing to innovate and support GoodCitizen’s business growth, operations, and culture.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone with early career experience in executive recruiting and/or professional services who is interested in acquiring deep and substantial knowledge of the social sector across a variety of issue areas. Senior Associates acquire tangible client facing business skills.
Project Management and Administration
As a lynchpin of the project team, Senior Associates:
- Serve as the project manager working with Search Directors on multiple searches simultaneously
- Manage up and down during the course of a search, making recommendations on workplans and adjustments as needed
- Anticipate needs of the internal team and clients, and guide supporting associates as well as search leads to ensure alignment, clarity, and timeliness
- Create reports and proposals, responding to general inquiries about services, and answering candidate inquiries about specific searches
Sourcing and Recruiting
Senior Associates design and implement research and sourcing strategies in partnership with search project teams:
- Collaborate with the clients and search project team to develop research parameters for each search in your portfolio
- Conduct research to identify diverse pipelines of candidates and referral sources
- Identify creative new sources and methodologies for finding and engaging candidates
- Utilize best practices for an open and inclusive search process that challenges bias and promotes equity
Communication & Outreach
Senior Associates provide nuanced yet clear communications to clients and prospective candidates, including:
- Engage prospective candidates in explorations of fit for positions
- Maintain strong and timely communications regarding action items and next steps for candidates, clients, and the GoodCitizen project team at key stages
- Conduct outreach calls, reference calls, and phone screens
Desired Qualifications and Skills
With the understanding that no one person will offer every desired skill or qualification outlined below, compelling candidates will offer much of the following:
- At least 2 years in executive search or recruiting; social sector search experience is a plus
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and with competing priorities
- Demonstrated experience building trusting and respectful relationships with people internally and externally; GoodCitizen’s team members, candidates, and clients are people from different races, ethnicities, cultures, geography, gender, gender identity, class, and sexual orientation.
- Advanced writing skills for external facing communications – memos, presentations, position descriptions, etc
- Knowledge of and interest in the social sector is an asset
- A strong interest in the importance of social justice and equity, of finding and placing the right leader in the right role, and advancing the mission-driven work of the organizations we serve
- Demonstrated experience engaging with clients and external partners using a relational, trust-based, and human-centered approach
- Experience with databases or CRMs is preferred
- Brings a workstyle that values collegiality, collaboration, quality, excellence, and fun
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$75,000 and will be based on professional background, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. GoodCitizen offers a generous benefits package. While we are working in a hybrid model as we come out of COVID, this role is based within in-person distance of Seattle or Washington D.C., Los Angeles, or the Bay Area
GoodCitizen is an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally, while also feeling included, respected, and valued. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained impact.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the Become a Candidate button.