About Waverley Street Foundation
Waverley Street Foundation (WSF) builds and supports solutions at the intersection of climate change and community priorities, focusing on efforts and initiatives that draw connections between urgent local and community-based issues—including housing, transportation, food security, and more—and the health of our planet. The Foundation is especially eager to partner with communities that are already enduring severe impacts of climate change and that deserve a central place in solutions. WSF prioritizes representation, diversity, equity, and inclusion in all facets of its work.
Unlike most philanthropies, WSF will spend down its assets—approximately $3 billion— over the next 10 years, a decision that empowers it to support not only sensible and pragmatic solutions but also daring bets and breakthroughs that can alter the trajectory of the climate crisis and unlock a new and better future for humanity.
WSF strives to do things differently and be entrepreneurial and innovative in their grantmaking approach. As they take on the task of addressing global climate change, they are adopting a campaign mindset, looking to empower people and communities to ensure that their governments adopt and implement climate friendly policies. Starting with some of the highest emitting nations, the goal is to demonstrate the collective will of humanity to reside on a livable planet, and to develop momentum for climate improvements across the globe that result in a global transition to clean energy sources and sustainable living.
WSF does its work in deep collaboration with field experts and advisors, as it is essential that the Foundation’s strategy is developed not in conference rooms but out in the world, informed by the lived experiences and innovative ideas of the people most directly impacted by the problems the foundation seeks to address. Specifically, WSF convenes experts from a variety of disciplines who are close to communities – their experiences, and their solutions.
In order to execute against their ambitious goals, WSF is seeking a Director of Human Resources (Director of HR) to support their team.
The Opportunity: Director of Human Resources
This is a dynamic opportunity for an accomplished Human Resources leader to join a high-impact, entrepreneurial team advancing community-based solutions to climate change. Waverley Street Foundation has been in operation for a year and a half and anticipates rapid staff growth in order to achieve their impact goals. As new position, the Director of HR will play a central role in building all that Waverley Street Foundation is and will become. This is a dynamic, start-up environment where the Director of HR helps shape the heart and soul of the organization, working as a thought partner to leadership, a strategist, and an implementer across the full HR spectrum. There is also an important international dimension to Waverley Street’s work that will build over time.
Based in San Francisco and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), this multifaceted role combines skill and sophistication across human resources administration, recruitment, organization design, career pathing and performance with effective implementation of mechanics and tactics.
In this influential role, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of HR management, ensuring compliance, fostering a positive workplace culture, and providing strategic guidance.
Your mission is to lead the full HR lifecycle at Waverley Street Foundation. Responsibilities include:
Strategic HR Leadership:
- Develop and execute HR strategies that align with the organization’s goals and objectives, and that enhance WSF’s culture and reflect our values.
- Provide strong leadership, change management, and guidance, collaborating with various departments to support HR objectives.
Talent Acquisition and Management:
- Oversee the recruitment process, ensuring the attraction and retention of top talent.
- Develop and implement effective onboarding, talent development, and succession processes and programs.
- Manage employee relations, including conflict resolution, investigations, and fostering a positive workplace culture.
- Design, implement, and manage employee engagement initiatives.
- Design and implement performance management systems that drive employee development and contribute to organizational success.
- Provide coaching and guidance on performance reviews and career development plans.
Compliance and Legal Oversight:
- Working with WSF’s General Counsel, ensure compliance with all relevant federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Develop, implement, and refine HR policies and procedures to provide transparency, mitigate risk, and ensure alignment with current best practices.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Oversee the design and administration of competitive and equitable compensation and benefits programs.
- Collaborate with leadership to ensure total rewards packages align with business objectives.
HR Analytics and Reporting:
- Utilize HR analytics to provide insights and recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Generate regular reports for leadership on HR metrics and trends.
- Coach, mentor, and develop HR Team Members.
- Effectively partner with and manage HR consultants and vendors.
Experience You Bring
You bring experience as an HR business partner and/or senior HR generalist and excitement about contributing your leadership skills to advancing an ambitious, important philanthropic effort.
The position calls for an experienced and skilled HR practitioner who is comfortable flexing between strategy and tactics. Functionally, candidates should bring a track record of success leading HR efforts in a mission-driven startup, or complex and growing organization. You are someone who thrives in an environment where every day is unique and different, where you can channel your expertise, creativity, and enthusiasm into building a best-in-class HR operation.
Ideal candidates for this position bring a track record of building relationships that inspire trust and instill confidence across an organization. They have a commitment to a strong work ethic and healthy, inclusive, professional organizational culture, and the professional wisdom to navigate organizational priorities and employee advocacy with tact and discretion.
Some of the specific qualifications we are looking for include:
- Progressive HR leadership experience with a comprehensive understanding of HR best practices.
- Strong knowledge of US federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, especially California and City of San Francisco.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to drive organizational change and foster a positive workplace culture.
- Experience in embedding DEIB principles into organizational processes and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
Preferred Skills include:
- Professional certification in Human Resources (e.g., SPHR, SHRM-SCP, GPHR).
- Experience in HR leadership within a dynamic and growing organization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- International HR leadership experience is a plus.
- Experience working in a mission-driven organization is preferred.
Key Attributes for Success at WSF
- Passionate about advancing equitable and transformative solutions to the climate crisis and to communities.
- Able to synthesize information and distill complex ideas into clear, concise, and actionable forms.
- Proven track record within complex, multi-stakeholder projects/organizations.
- Skilled at building strong relationships and cultivating diverse networks.
- Humble and open to differing views and perspectives.
- Intellectually curious and stays current on news in their field.
- Able to break down barriers to getting things done, while always operating with unassailable integrity.
- Willing to pitch in when needed.
- Low drama, good humor, and joie de vivre.
Salary: The salary range for this position is $225,000-$275,000. The exact offer will be determined by a variety of factors such as the candidate’s individual skills, qualifications, and experience relative to the requirements of the role.
Benefits: In addition to salary, this position includes a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) plan with employer match, paid time off, and other perks.
Location: San Francisco (Hybrid, 3 days in office)
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the “Become a Candidate” button on the position profile on the GoodCitizen website.
Applicants applying by March 4th, 2024 will be given priority consideration, with the position open until filled.
GoodCitizen has been exclusively retained by Waverley Street Foundation to lead this search. For questions, please contact: