About Movement School
Movement Schools is a rapidly growing network of free, public charter schools serving students in pre-K through 5th grade. Movement exists to love and value students, emphasize academics and virtue, and are building amazing schools with our students, teachers and families.
Founded in Charlotte, North Carolina, Movement serves over 1200 students across four schools and three pre-K sites. In 2022 Movement Schools averaged 22% academic growth, over three times the state average, and received over 1,700 applications for admission.
Movement Schools are built in partnership with the Movement Foundation, which has committed over $300 million dollars to help Movement Schools scale over the next three years. In the next three years Movement Schools will scale from 4 to 20 schools expanding to additional communities across the southeast, and over the next 10 years, another will open 100 schools across the nation. For more information visit https://www.movementschools.org/.
The Chief Operating Officer for Movement Schools will be responsible for implementing the structures, systems, and controls to enable Movement Schools to effectively scale to 20 schools in the next 3 years and 100 schools over the next 10 years.
As the leader of teams that coordinate administrative and operational functions for Movement Schools as well as its central office, the COO is responsible for driving innovation, excellence, and efficiency across every operational function including finance, technology, student recruitment and enrollment, facilities management and development, school operations, meals, transportation, procurement, student information systems, teacher certification, risk management, safety, and new school openings.
Movement School’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) is an experienced manager and leader accountable for leading development of Movement School’s strategy and business plan, for the delivery of high performing operational services and capacity building required to support Movement’s rapid growth, and for the financial sustainability and public compliance of the organization.
- Strategic Planning
- Facilitate process for developing, refining, and executing Movement’s strategic growth plan.
- Develop, manage, and organize planning around Movement’s multi-year, detailed financial model, including position-specific annual staffing plans, detailed analysis of each revenue source and critical expense driver, and line-item budgets for each school under the charter.
- Define operational excellence for Movement and develop dashboards to manage regional office and school-based operations staff members to results.
- Hire, manage, train, and develop regional operations staff and school operations staff to deliver excellent operations services and supports.
- Manage overall quality of operations performance and customer service, analyzing service performance and customer satisfaction data to set and achieve continuous improvement goals.
- Finance & Accounting
- Ensure Movement achieves annual and multi-year financial sustainability goals and budget results.
- Oversee Finance staff to manage financial operations of Movement schools and regional office in the areas of accounting, reporting, banking, budgeting, procurement, compliance, and financial planning.
- Ensure staff and board have accurate, timely financial information.
- Oversee staff and systems for purchasing, procurement, and inventory management, including vendor management and securing administrative supplies, instructional materials, furniture, and equipment.
- Compliance & Grants
- Ensure compliance systems, staffing, and tools in place for annual and charter cycles such that Movement complies with all federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements.
- Facilities & Real Estate
- Manage Movement’s real estate portfolio, ensuring facility solutions and plans are in place to achieve growth while integrating mission, finance, development, and facility perspectives.
- Legal & Risk Management
- Lead organization-wide management of legal affairs, insurance, and other risk management strategies.
- Oversee staff and strategies for planning, implementation, and support of all technology required for Movement to achieve its educational and business goals.
- Transportation & Food Services
- Ensure school-based staffing, systems, and vendors are in place for transportation and food programs with timely, reliable, safe, on-budget, and fully compliant delivery of services.
- Entrepreneurial, self-directed leader with experience building scalable systems for a fast-growing organization.
- Has experience partners with other senior leaders to lead, plan, and manage in an entrepreneurial, client-oriented setting.
- Record of hiring and coaching thriving teams of senior leaders.
- Gets joy from delivering amazing customer-service.
- Excels at system building.
- Constantly assesses progress, communicates results clearly, and uses data to inform decisions and set ambitious goals.
- Passionately committed to the vision of Movement Schools.
- Impressive track record of results – ambitious goals set and achieved.
- At least five years of progressively increasing operational management experience and strategic planning for a growing, multi-site organization.
- Has a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required (MBA or Master’s Degree in related field preferred)
Location and Salary
The preferred location for this role is North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia, preferred. This role requires frequent travel to Charlotte with some overnight stays, as necessary. The salary range for this role is $170,000 – $185,000. Movement Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Movement also offers a 401K salary match and retirement planning. All staff members receive extensive professional development and are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Movement Schools’ EEO Statement
Movement Schools provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To Be Considered
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the position and fit for the role via the “Become a Candidate” button on the position profile. Letters may be addressed to Kevin Bryant.
Applicants applying by February, 26th will be given priority consideration, with the position open until filled.
GoodCitizen has been exclusively retained by Movement Schools to lead this search. For questions, please contact: